Operations "full control" in Release Readiness MR RRS feed

• Question

• I found it interesting that all management reviews appear to act as bookends to each phase except for the Release Readiness MR in Deliver. This MR occurs before the final SMF (deploy) with the focus of ensuring release readiness and supportability. Ensuring sign-off before “go live” makes perfect sense. However, I have a few questions.

One output of the Release Readiness MR is: “Operations and support team in full control of the solution.” Is this simply a shift in responsibility inside the project team? If not, it doesn’t make sense that operations can be “in full control” when the Deploy SMF (that occurs after the Release Readiness MR) states that “During deployment, the project team deploys the core solution and the site components into the production environment; stabilizes the deployment; transfers the project to operations; and gets final customer approval for the new solution.”

The Operations Experience Role in the Deploy SMF “[w]orks with Release Management to ensure solution is operations ready.” This doesn’t read like a role that is “in full control.” My personal experience has been that operations generally secures CAB approval and performs the final migration to production. However, I have defined and documented ITSM process and workflows in environments where release always performs the migration and CAB approval themselves. I’m assuming that this is the preferred method in MOF, but I’m not convinced that I see it clearly spelled out.

I have a nagging concern that something could happen in the Deploy SMF that will not get pushed to the Operate Phase since the Release Readiness MR is the only official input to Operate. I know that change management is coordinating the release between the project team and operations to ensure a smooth and coordinated handoff.  However, I can help but wonder if there’s a vital step in the Deploy SMF that will never get communicated to operations.

Finally, I completely missed where the term “milestone” entered the picture in the documentation. I’m sure I just need to take another look at everything, but I was caught by surprise when I was searching for the Release Readiness MR and kept encountering a Release Readiness Milestone.

Tuesday, September 29, 2009 10:07 PM

Answers

• Thanks for all the great, detailed comments on Release Readiness.  It's gratifying to see that you know so much about MOF 4.  The MOF team is in the process of writing more guidance around all of the MOF 4 management reviews so the timing of these comments is very helpful. 

Both the Release Readiness management review and the Deploy SMF are part of the transition between the Deliver phase and the Operate phase.  Because of that, the project team, the operations teams, and sometimes even a specialized Deploy team are involved.  Keep in mind that the governance requirements for many organizations requires that the development team has no or restricted access to the production environment. Developers are often not permitted to make any changes in production.  That kind of separation of duties requirement drives who is involved in Deploy activities. 

The final handoff of the project to Operations takes place at the end of Deploy as part of the deployment complete milestone  At that point, the project team is no longer participating. The deployment complete milestone indicates that event has taken place.  Milestones are included in the Deliver phase to show key places in the schedule.  Management reviews are meetings that can also be milestones.   

• Marked as answer by PC6300 Thursday, October 1, 2009 2:46 PM
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 11:28 PM

All replies

• Thanks for all the great, detailed comments on Release Readiness.  It's gratifying to see that you know so much about MOF 4.  The MOF team is in the process of writing more guidance around all of the MOF 4 management reviews so the timing of these comments is very helpful. 

Both the Release Readiness management review and the Deploy SMF are part of the transition between the Deliver phase and the Operate phase.  Because of that, the project team, the operations teams, and sometimes even a specialized Deploy team are involved.  Keep in mind that the governance requirements for many organizations requires that the development team has no or restricted access to the production environment. Developers are often not permitted to make any changes in production.  That kind of separation of duties requirement drives who is involved in Deploy activities. 

The final handoff of the project to Operations takes place at the end of Deploy as part of the deployment complete milestone  At that point, the project team is no longer participating. The deployment complete milestone indicates that event has taken place.  Milestones are included in the Deliver phase to show key places in the schedule.  Management reviews are meetings that can also be milestones.   

• Marked as answer by PC6300 Thursday, October 1, 2009 2:46 PM
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 11:28 PM
  • Hi Guys,

I always involve Operations Team in Deliver final lap to this guys get some experience before operation fact the new service or solution. So, after Deploy completed the project team and developers (of a software or service) no have full access to Operate fase, but they are active to doubts of my operate team. The project team became involved in "cycle" again only in Improvement fase, to start the cycle again. Talking about MRs, I use this as milestone, and works fine, like a Friday meeting, in example, but I adapt this and I do some punctual meetings with project team overall project fase.

PC6300, thanks to share your point of view.

Betsy, let me know if you guys in MOF team need some help to review new docs J

Hope this helps

Regards,

Cleber Marques

Microsoft MVP & MCT | Charter Member: SCVMM & MDOP
    MOF Brazil Project: Simplifying IT Service Management
    My Blog | MOF.com.br | CleberMarques.com | CanalSystemCenter.com.br
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 10:27 AM
  • I’m quickly becoming a big fan of MOF. At one level or another, all of my clients/employers have built an IT management model around ITIL. However, an ITSM consultant can make a good living helping clients that are a little leery of formal frameworks. This is a growing market since so many ITIL consultants/trainers have helped create a myth of ITIL “compliance” that isn’t sitting well with late adopters. They feel like ITIL V3 is a bit of “ITIL for the sake of ITIL.” Maybe I’ve sat through too many fill-in-the-blank presentations about service management lifecycles, but most organizations can’t even agree on how to define a problem, if every call to the service desk should be logged, or if their IT staff is also an IT customer.  These issues are serious roadblocks to ITSM maturity as well as low-hanging fruit for consultants.

My current client is slightly ITIL-phobic so I’ve been weaving bits of MOF into their existing business processes. The end result isn’t perfect (it wouldn't have been with ITIL), but I’ll be reluctant to ever take a client that isn’t receptive to MOF. I think the framework has a real opportunity to capitalize on some industry pushback against ITIL V3. If that doesn’t work, maybe the upcoming release of System Center Service Manager will generate more interest in MOF and ITSM.

Thursday, October 1, 2009 3:13 PM