none
PC Tower compatible with Samsung 2233SW

Question

• I have an 8 year old PackardBell which has been enough for my limited uses (I don't play games or other high power needing programmes). I do use it for connecting with my microscopes, and as it has USB1 ports that makes imagery a bit slow etc. Now, the monitor caught on fire, which I replaced with a Samsung 2233SW, which I have no trouble with. I need to buy a new PC tower, as it really has had its day, which I guess will be Windows 7, but I need to buy one that is compatible with the Samsung(I don't want to buy another screen when I just bought one a year ago) which has VGA connection. I need a sugestion as to which PC Tower I need that is compatible, and one that has at least 5 USB2ports - with  two or three USB2 ports preferable at the front (the USB leads from microscope cameras seem ridiculously short). My budget is about $A600. many thanks,
    Friday, June 25, 2010 2:19 AM

All replies

• Hi scullyuma,

If you review the Samsung support page for the 2233SW, (ctrl-click on blue letters) you will find that Samsung provides drivers up to Vista for a VGA connection.

New desktops with Windows 7 will work with the monitor, it may be identified as Generic PnP in the Devices and Printers section. The typical standard connector is VGA. This will not impact performance.

Most new desktop computers will have the required number of usb ports ports that you need. Two usb front ports is the typical configuration, although some provide four.

The display adapter or video card is what will make a difference. Most on-board display adapters can provide the maximum resolution of the Samsung monitor, but an add-in PCI-e display adapter, nVidia or AMD\ATI, will provide a better display and  a DVI  connection to the monitor. The on-board typically provide only a vga connection. DVI provides a better display or lcd monitors.

I would suggest that you run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor on the current computer to determine if your applications will run in Windows 7.(ie, microscope apps) I understand that you don't want to upgrade the current computer's operating system. This is just a tool to assist in compatibility with Windows 7. So connect everything that you intend to use on the new computer and run the Advisor.

You will definitely need to get new security software (anti-virus) compatible with Windows 7.

The Welcome to Windows 7 can provide information and links to assist you. 

I hope that helps to reduce your assessment time in selecting a new computer.

• Edited by Nano Warp Friday, June 25, 2010 8:33 AM added info
    Friday, June 25, 2010 8:31 AM
  • Thankyou Nano Warp for your time. PC's just aren't my thing. Insect exoskeletal material is.

So, can I cheat with the Devices and Printers section and use a VGA connection for the Samsung? 

Thanks again (and in any replies,which I will really appreaciate) write to me as if you were writing to a 4 year old. I promise I will catch up with IT stuff. I am copying all replies to a "What PC can I buy" folder.

cheers

scullyuma

Saturday, June 26, 2010 2:03 AM
  • I checked the 2233SW. It has both VGA (D sub 15) and DVI (digital) inputs. Did you receive a DVI cable with it? If so, you could use either. (I prefer DVI, given the choice. VGA works fine as well.)

I don't know what to recommend for a cheapish PC that would meet your needs, partly because I don't what's available where you are (Australia?). I'm in the USA. Here, I'd suggest something similar to a Dell Inspiron 570MT (AMD CPU), but it doesn't appear to be available in Oz.

Saturday, June 26, 2010 5:19 AM
  • Damn late, but thank you for your help - just 7 years tardy!!!!
    Thursday, August 24, 2017 6:13 AM
  • OH, I did thank you... yeesh, 
    Thursday, August 24, 2017 6:18 AM