none
Get-ImageInfo VS Get-Wiminfo

Question

• I've typed the following command under Windows 10 prompt and i got GOOD results:

Dism /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:C:\test\images\install.wim

Dism /Get-ImageInfo /imagefile:C:\test\images\install.wim

However, i've got the follow questions into my mind:

1 - Why do different commands exist to lead us to the same end?

Does one of them to work only under a specific windows version and other not, for example, is one to be used under Windows 8 and another one under windows 10 ? Which one is latest and what is reason to there be two ways in order to reaching the same goal?

---------------------------------------------------------------

I typed the following command under windows 10 prompt and i got NO result:

The microsoft example is: 

Dism /image:C:\test\offline /Get-CurrentEdition

and I use like this:

Dism /image:C:test\images /Get-currentedition

Then, my others questions here are:

2 - Why it doesn't work, where is the mistake? Could you tell me how to use such commands properly?

Wednesday, July 4, 2018 6:50 AM

All replies

• Question 1:

/Get-WimInfo can be used for .wim or .esd, in order to find OS build, version, edition etc

/Get-ImageInfo displays information about the images that are contained in a .wim, .ffu, .vhd or .vhdx file.

We used /Get-WimInfo before(on Windows 7, 8, 8.1) and now we are using /Get-ImageInfo more(yes, Get-ImageInfo is newer). In your scenario, for .wim image, both of these two parameters are useful.

Question 2:

My friend, one thing we need to know, when a image has been installed complete(becomes a running system), we stay at online mode, so we should use the following command to check current system edition, it is simple:

Dism /Online /Get-CurrentEdition

When a image is not installed, we are customizing it or ready to deploy it, we stay at offline mode

https://github.com/MicrosoftDocs/commercialization-public/blob/master/manufacture/desktop/change-the-windows-image-to-a-higher-edition-using-dism.md

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 5, 2018 3:14 AM
  • We have not heard from you in a couple of days. Please post back at your convenience if we can assist further.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 6, 2018 9:03 AM