Undeliverable Messages - Corrupt Message Content RRS feed

• Question

• I have two users that have reported problems sending attachments today. One user was sending several PDF files to a few internal recipients and the other was sending Word documents also to internal recipients. It seems to be occasional, as the PDF's were forwarded to me and I received them and the other user seems to be fine now. This is the message the sender receives:

Diagnostic information for administrators:

Generating server: mail.domain.com

jsmith@domain.com
    #554 5.6.0 STOREDRV.Deliver; Corrupt message content ##

Original message headers:

Received: from mail.domain.com ([fe80::b5a3:e52f:14f6:1733]) by
     mail.domain.com ([fe80::b5a3:e52f:14f6:1733%11]) with mapi; Mon, 26
     Apr 2010 16:05:28 -0500
    Content-Type: application/ms-tnef; name="winmail.dat"
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: binary
    To: Mary Smith <msmith@domain.com>
    CC: John Brown <jbrown@domain.com>
    Subject: Emailing: HVL-93881-PKGrev00
    Thread-Topic: Emailing: HVL-93881-PKGrev00
    Thread-Index: Acrlg+x5gxMm46WsQrOLT5fgHEHu/g==
    Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 16:03:30 -0500
    Message-ID: <5666DBD5CD3A0643817B4BB77E5FF35704C284C9@mail.domain.com>
    Accept-Language: en-US
    Content-Language: en-US
    X-MS-Has-Attach: yes
    X-MS-TNEF-Correlator: <5666DBD5CD3A0643817B4BB77E5FF35704C284C9@mail.domain.com>
    MIME-Version: 1.0

I found a similar topic here with same error, but it is referring to the Trend Micro agent. We have no 3rd party agents, except software from Codetwo.com that is used to add signatures and disclaimers on all emails.

Thank you,

David Alge

Monday, April 26, 2010 9:58 PM

Answers

• Hi David,

This is the produce issue and will be fixed in RU4. And this issue is occurred when the following requirements are met:

Multiple recipients within the organization
    1 or attachments
    Rule or software applied disclaimer

Thanks

Allen

• Marked as answer by Allen Song Monday, May 17, 2010 3:39 AM
    Monday, May 17, 2010 3:39 AM

All replies

• Here is another similar issue, this was an email with a Powerpoint attachment. This is the error:

Diagnostic information for administrators:

Generating server: mail.domain.com

noone@gmail.com
    #550 5.6.0 M2MCVT.StorageError; storage error in content conversion ##

Original message headers:

Received: from mail.domain.com ([fe80::b5a3:e52f:14f6:1733]) by
     mail.domain.com ([fe80::b5a3:e52f:14f6:1733%11]) with mapi; Mon,
     Apr 2010 16:46:42 -0500
    Content-Type: application/ms-tnef; name="winmail.dat"
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: binary
    To: "'noone@gmail.com'" <noone@gmail.com>
    Subject: IT slides for board meeting 0423.pptx
    Thread-Topic: IT slides for board meeting 0423.pptx
    Thread-Index: Acrlidw7DvN5iq34QyWOM8Rg9OhMOQ==
    Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 16:46:42 -0500
    Message-ID:
    <5341519BC6C5A443A29D18970E705C7004CC90C3@mail.domain.com>
    Accept-Language: en-US
    Content-Language: en-US
    X-MS-Has-Attach: yes
    X-MS-TNEF-Correlator:
    <5341519BC6C5A443A29D18970E705C7004CC90C3@mail.domain.com>
    MIME-Version: 1.0

Monday, April 26, 2010 10:02 PM
  • I am getting more users getting the corrupt content messages as undeliverable. Anyone have an idea what is causing this?
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 3:08 PM
  • Hi David,

You may wish to investigate using Content Conversion Tracing on your transport servers to capture any content conversion failures.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb397226.aspx

Additionally I've seen a similar issue where the local virus scanner on clients caused this error after tampering with the message; that was McAfee, though, in that instance and occurred on Exchange 2007.

Steve

-------- Blog: http://www.stevieg.org Twitter: http://twitter.com/stevegoodman
    • Proposed as answer by Allen Song Thursday, May 6, 2010 6:12 AM
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 7:24 PM
  • If you have file-level antivirus scanning have a look so you have added the necessary exclusions for exchange 2010

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb332342.aspx

Jonas Andersson MCTS: Microsoft Exchange Server 2010, Configuration | MCITP: EMA | MCSE/MCSA Blog: http://www.testlabs.se/blog
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 8:00 PM
  • No antivirus software is installed on our Exchange server.

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 4:27 PM
  • I am having the exact same issue.  We had a couple users at first reporting this but now more and more are telling me about it.  We also don't have any antivirus installed on our exchange server.

It seems that if you send the same email from OWA it works fine so it seems to be something with the local clients PC but i'm not positive.

Have you found any solutions for this yet for your company?

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 1:58 PM
  • Hi,

Please try Steve's suggetions to enable Content Conversion Tracing, then reproduce this issue and collect the log. Finally, please post the log on the forum or send it to me.

Thanks

Allen

Thursday, May 6, 2010 6:14 AM
  • Allen, I've turned on the ContentConversionTracingEnabled and had the user duplicate the issue several times.  Nothing is being logged.  Here are the settings i have:

Identity                        : Server1
    ContentConversionTracingEnabled : True
    PipelineTracingPath             : C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\TransportRoles\Logs\PipelineTracing
    PipelineTracingSenderAddress    :

Identity                        : Server2
    PipelineTracingPath             : C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\TransportRoles\Logs\PipelineTracing

Identity                        : Server3
    PipelineTracingPath             : C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\TransportRoles\Logs\PipelineTracing

Is it possible it's an Outlook issues and not even hitting Exchange?  I read a post where if people deleted their OST file it stopped doing this.  That didn't happen for me but was just curious what you thought.

Friday, May 7, 2010 6:32 PM
  • OK, here is what I've done over this weekend:

1. Installed Exchange 2010 Rollup 3 and other critical updates.
    2. Removed last remaining legacy Exchange Server from the network.
    3. Upgraded a third party tool we purchased called CodeTwo Rules from Codetwo.com.

Prior to the weekend, I did enable content conversion tracking and was getting some failures on Friday. I wanted to check this morning to see if anything that I performed this weekend corrected the problem. I am still getting some failures, here is one of them:

Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.ConversionFailedException: The message content has become corrupted. ---> Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.ConversionFailedException: Content conversion: Failed due to corrupt TNEF (violation status: 0x00000020)
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.InboundTnefConverter.CheckTnefComplianceStatus()
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.InboundTnefConverter.ConvertToItem(TnefReader reader, Boolean isSummaryTnef)
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.InboundTnefConverter.ConvertToItem(Stream tnefStream, Int32 primaryCodepage, Boolean isSummaryTnef)
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.InboundMimeConverter.<>c__DisplayClass14.<PromoteTnef>b__d()
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.ConvertUtils.CallCts(Trace tracer, String methodName, LocalizedString exceptionString, CtsCall ctsCall)
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.InboundMimeConverter.PromoteTnef(MimePart tnefPart, Int32 primaryCodepage, Boolean isSummaryTnef, Boolean& bodyFound)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.InboundMimeConverter.UndoTnef(InboundTnefConverter tnefConverter, State trackerSavedState, Boolean isSummaryTnef, Exception tnefException)
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.InboundMimeConverter.PromoteTnef(MimePart tnefPart, Int32 primaryCodepage, Boolean isSummaryTnef, Boolean& bodyFound)
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.InboundMimeConverter.ConvertToItemInternal(MimePromotionFlags promotionFlags)
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.ConvertUtils.CallCts(Trace tracer, String methodName, LocalizedString exceptionString, CtsCall ctsCall)
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.InboundMimeConverter.ConvertToItem(MimePromotionFlags promotionFlags)
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.ItemConversion.ConvertAnyMimeToItem(Item itemOut, EmailMessage messageIn, InboundConversionOptions options, MimePromotionFlags flags)
    InboundConversionOptions:
    - preferredCharset: iso-8859-1
    - trustAsciiCharsets: True
    - isSenderTrusted: True
    - imceaResolveableDomain: ourdomainname.com
    - preserveReportBody: False
    - clearCategories: True
    - userADSession: Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Directory.Recipient.ADRecipientSession
    - recipientCache: Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Directory.Recipient.ADRecipientCache
    - clientSubmittedSecurely: False
    - serverSubmittedSecurely: True
    - preferredInternetCodePageForShiftJis: 50222
    - convertReportToMessage:  False
    - headerPromotionMode: NoCreate
    ConversionLimits:
    - maxMimeTextHeaderLength: 2000
    - maxMimeSubjectLength: 255
    - maxSize: 2147483647
    - maxMimeRecipients: 12288
    - maxBodyPartsTotal: 250
    - maxEmbeddedMessageDepth: 30
    - exemptPFReplicationMessages: True

As mentioned earlier, we use a program called CodeTwo rules (Codetwo.com) which inserts email signatures and disclaimers on all email sent through the server. This works through the hub transport server and it seems to have begun after a new update of their software and new functionality, although I cannot confirm this. As a test, I am turning off the new functionality and moved all existing conversion logs to a new location and then check to see if I see any more conversion errors. I will report back as soon as I can.

David

Monday, May 10, 2010 4:24 PM
  • I am also having the issues though i can't get an errror like you, but like you I have a signature software installed to.  I'm not using codetwo though, i'm using Exclaimer.

I did use codetwo on our 2007 server for over a year without any issues.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 12:50 PM
  • We had been using Codetwo for well over 1+ years with no problems on our 2003 server. As of right now, I do not think this software is causing the issue. Even after turning off the new feature they have (inserting signatures on the sent items), I still got some corrupted emails. I haven't tried uninstalling the entire software and I cannot do this per management as they want signatures on all outgoing emails. I have been trying to determine what has been changed about the time these starting happening and thought of a transport rule we created for moderating emails. I deleted the rule yesterday and though this was the culprit as no corrupted content messages came through for about 22-23 hours then about 5 came in after 23.5 hours after deleting the rule. So, I'm back at the drawing board, trying to determine what is causing this. I've been told most of the time, it is emails being sent to multiple recipients with attachments. Sending the email to single recipient does not cause the issue.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 8:18 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your information.

After reviewing the log of Content Conversion, I found the Content Conversion has the issue when delivering the email. Please understand that the Content Conversion is executed at the Deliver phase on the StoreDriver after performing various rule.

Did you try to disable the CodeTwo program to check this issue? And if possible, please try to send the problematic email to me in order to test on my lab.

Thanks

Allen

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 3:43 AM
  • Hi David,

This is the produce issue and will be fixed in RU4. And this issue is occurred when the following requirements are met:

Multiple recipients within the organization
    1 or attachments
    Rule or software applied disclaimer

Thanks

Allen

• Marked as answer by Allen Song Monday, May 17, 2010 3:39 AM
    Monday, May 17, 2010 3:39 AM
  • We are seeing the same delivery failures occasionally too.

We do not have any third party- or rule-applied  disclaimer or signature though.  We do have client-applied signatures.

The only change we've made recently, aside from MS patches, is that we've begun using Messaging Resource Management to prune messages from the mailboxes.

Any word on when Roll Up 4 is due out?

Monday, May 17, 2010 1:38 PM
  • Thank you for the information. I tried going back to our original version of the signature software as do not remember ever having the problem with it, but that did not resolve the problem and did not see your answer until this morning. I will wait for the next rollup to correct the problem.

Thank you,

David

Monday, May 17, 2010 2:20 PM
  • We are also experiencing this issue on a number of sites. We use Exchange 2010 only and all AV and SPAM scanning is done on Messagelabs. The corrupted content only appears when internal users send out mail. This is because we have a transport rule based disclaimer that appends the text to all sent mails.

So far I have not been able to resolve this and we have spoken to Microsoft about the issue as well. The Microsoft Engineers are saying it is a known issue and as per the post by Allen Song they are fixing this in Rollup Update 4.

Is anyone aware though of the roadmap for RU4? Would have been great if they produced a hotfix for this issue.

Guess its just a waiting game then to resolve this issue......

Thursday, June 17, 2010 10:44 AM
  • Just thought I would update this thread to what I did as a workaround to this issue before RU4 is out.

We have modified the transport rule for the disclaimer and added an exception rule of 'except when the message is sent to users that are inside the organization'. So this means our internal mail is no longer corrupted when sending attachemnts internally. But if any mail goes outside of our organization then the disclaimer is appended to the message.

We have never had an issue with corrupted messages being sent to external recpients so I have disgnosed it to internal mailflow only in our case.

This may not work as everyone's solution, however if you dont require a disclaimer on the internal mail flow then it works perfect as a solution for not corrupting the messages until Microsoft release RU4.

Friday, June 18, 2010 3:43 PM
  • Any word on when RU4 will be released? I am getting reports from my users sometimes several times a day of this same issue. It seems to be happening more frequently.
    Thursday, July 1, 2010 4:05 PM
  • Hi David,

Just thought I would let you know that RU4 has been released June 17th and you can now download it. It resolves the issue with the NDR when sending messages to multiple internal users. More details can be found here:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=982639

And the download is:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=09b4973e-3a80-4fb9-9f60-5c6e2b7a2727&displaylang=en

• Proposed as answer by PT_J Saturday, July 31, 2010 11:20 AM
    Saturday, July 31, 2010 11:20 AM