PC keeps freezing but mouse still works... RRS feed

• Question

• So my PC keeps crashing, sometimes when I turn it on straight away, sometimes after a few minutes, very rarely it doesn't crash.

However when it crashes, my mouse still works, I can still move it around. Sometimes on Chrome for example I can still click links, but they won't load.

In other apps the PC totally crashes when I click something.

I've tried drivers, firmware updates, it's definitely not overheating. Just cannot work out what the issue is.

I've got an SSD but not had any issues from it but i'm worried it could be this or the motherboard.

The red light on the front of my PC that flashes when my PC is working just goes solid red when it crashes, and the only fix then is a hard reboot. Very frustrating, especially if i'm in the middle of something.

Anyone got any ideas or ways I can test what the issue is?

Thank you,

Liam.

Edit to say i'm on Windows 7.

Edit again to say i've done Chkdsk on my SSD and it seemed OK...

Sunday, July 27, 2014 4:27 PM

Answers

• NCN

After the above

I would update the SSD firmware and run windows performance recorder (if you can when you are having the problem) and it does run in win 7.

In order to diagnose your problem you will need to download and install the below

Install the WPT (Windows Performance Toolkit) 
    Help with installation (if needed) is here

When you have, open an elevated command prompt and type the following 
    WPRUI.exe (which is the windows performance recorder) and check off the boxes for the following:

First level triage (if available), CPU usage, Disk IO.  

If your problem is not CPU or HD then check off the relevant box/s as well (for example networking or registry)  Please configure yours as per the below snip

Click Start

Let it run for 60 secs or more and save the file (it will show you where it is being saved and what the file is called)

Zip the file and upload to us on Onedrive (or any file sharing service) and give us a link to it in your next post.

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

• Proposed as answer by Wade__Liu Thursday, July 31, 2014 8:22 AM
    • Marked as answer by ZigZag3143x Wednesday, August 6, 2014 2:53 PM
    Sunday, July 27, 2014 6:02 PM

All replies

• NC

When it crashes does it reboot?  Do you get a blue screen?

Please provide us with your Event Viewer administrative logs by following these steps:

Click Start Menu
    Type eventvwr into Search programs and files (do not hit enter)
    Right click eventvwr.exe and click Run as administrator
    Expand Custom Views
    Click Administrative Events
    Right click Administrative Events
    Save all Events in Custom View As...
    Save them in a folder where you will remember which folder and save as Errors.evtx
    Go to where you saved Errors.evtx
    Right click Errors.evtx -> send to -> compressed (zipped) folder
    Upload the .zip file to Onedrive or a file sharing service and put a link to it in your next post
    If you have updated to win 8.1 and you get the error message "the system cannot find the file specified" it is a known problem.  The work around is to edit the registry.  If you are not comfortable doing this DONT.  If you are, backup the key before you do
    Press Win+"R" and input regedit

Navigate to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WINEVT\Channels. Delete "Microsoft-Windows-DxpTaskRingtone/Analytic"

Sunday, July 27, 2014 4:55 PM
  • Hey man. it doesn't reboot and I do not get a blue screen, no.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=3B4DA2E9783D2498%21121

That is the link following your steps my friend.

Sunday, July 27, 2014 5:20 PM
  • NCN

It does seem to be restarting (see snip) Please upload the DMP files and there are more than a dozen problems.  Lets also run a system file check to verify the OS

We do need the actual log file (called a DMP file) as they contain the only record of the sequence of events leading up to the crash, what drivers were loaded, and what was responsible.  
    We prefer at least 2 DMP files to spot trends and confirm the cause.

Please follow our instructions for finding and uploading the files we need to help you fix your computer. They can be found here
    If you have any questions about the procedure please ask

If you are using Blue screen view, who crashed, or a similar application, don't.  They are wrong at least as often as they are correct

Please run a system file check (SFC)

All instructions are in our Wiki article below...
    Should you have any questions please ask us.

Sunday, July 27, 2014 5:34 PM
  • Thanks again. It's rebooting only because i'm using the 'restart' button on my PC tower, to get it out of the crash cycle and start again.

Ran the SFC 3 times and it's not found any integrity violations.

Checked for the DMP's and the folder is empty, turns out they weren't enabled for some reason. Now enabled so I will report back with these ASAP.

Sunday, July 27, 2014 5:53 PM
  • NCN

After the above

I would update the SSD firmware and run windows performance recorder (if you can when you are having the problem) and it does run in win 7.

In order to diagnose your problem you will need to download and install the below

Install the WPT (Windows Performance Toolkit) 
    Help with installation (if needed) is here

When you have, open an elevated command prompt and type the following 
    WPRUI.exe (which is the windows performance recorder) and check off the boxes for the following:

First level triage (if available), CPU usage, Disk IO.  

If your problem is not CPU or HD then check off the relevant box/s as well (for example networking or registry)  Please configure yours as per the below snip

Click Start

Let it run for 60 secs or more and save the file (it will show you where it is being saved and what the file is called)

Zip the file and upload to us on Onedrive (or any file sharing service) and give us a link to it in your next post.

• Proposed as answer by Wade__Liu Thursday, July 31, 2014 8:22 AM
    • Marked as answer by ZigZag3143x Wednesday, August 6, 2014 2:53 PM
    Sunday, July 27, 2014 6:02 PM