Bug Appeared - cannot change background RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,  university Im studiing on, have a student program with microsoft so we can have ms products like windows for free, as long as we use them for education purposes. So the point is, I have installed final release of windows 7 on my notebook because we have it aviable in our system. Its realy great. I have it , Im not sure maybe for two weeks, and till now everything was just great. But today I just wanted to change my background. So I opened personalization window and when I open desktop background window where I can choose picture to show, the problem appeared. I cannot pres OK or CANCLE buttons so whatever I do I cant save it. When I click OK or CANCEL only think that happen is that background change to the one I wanted to change. Only button which I can press is cross in the right upper corner. I cannot even change the position of the picture. Only way to change background is to go to the folder where curent background is and delete picture in there and put new one with the same name. Or I can change the theme. Still I cant change pisition so all pictures which are bigger than my screen resolution are not all visible(looks like original size is default so all pictures are shown like that)  . Have anybody met this kind of problem? I dont know what to do. Its not somethink which can solve problems when i work but It can be bigger problem then just this so I dont want to underestimate it. Thanks a lot for any help.
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 4:18 PM

Answers

• wolfi3b,

According to the screenshot you provided, the screen layout looks like Windows Vista. In addition, "animated wallpaper" feature is removed from Windows 7. Therefore, I would like to confirm if you have installed certain wallpaper software. If so, please uninstall it to see if the issue can be resolved.

In addition, please also test the issue in Clean Boot. If the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

However, if the issue persists, you can also try reformat the hard drive and reinstall Windows 7

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by wolfi3b Friday, September 11, 2009 12:45 PM
    • Edited by Linda Yan Friday, September 25, 2009 5:15 AM
    Friday, September 11, 2009 8:23 AM

All replies

• The buttons there would say "save changes" and "cancel". Did you install the the operating system yourself or was it pre-installed on the laptop you are  using? If it was pre-installed there may be policy settings from a computer adminisrtator that deliberately prevent you from making changes to the certain aspects of computer configuration.

• Proposed as answer by ONE ZERO Sunday, September 20, 2009 1:36 PM
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 6:27 PM
  • I instaled it on my own. But Im pretty sure about instalation because till now I changed wallpapers at least 20ty times....It started today. No Idea why. First I thought my sister done something because I let her on my laptop, but she said she just read emails so no way this can happen because of this. Anyway my account is as administrrator so there cannot be restrictions like this for me. I realy have no idea what happened. And about these button labels I have there OK and CANCEL.
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 6:49 PM
  • Check out the image here, horshack is right. a screenshot of your problem will work better. and if want to set any particular wallpaper then just right click on it and select set as desktop background from the list.

Photobucket

Tuesday, September 8, 2009 7:34 PM
  • hmm...please how can I show here my screen shot? Because I realy have there OK and Cancel Buttons. I cannot remember if there were before save changes and cancel but now there are certainly OK and Cancel.
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 7:50 PM
  • If you have OK and Cancel instead of Save changes and Cancel, that would lead me to believe something tampered with your system. If you  have the same screen but not the same text I'd run a decent antivirus to start with.
    Please give as as many details about your system as possible (brand, w7 build, antivirus, different kinds of software).

Eventually, do a system retore to a date prior to this funny behaviour.

Regards

Rem
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 8:21 PM
  • I tryed restore but only efect is that I lost programs I instaled this morning and lost saved pages in ie.  Nothing else, problem still here. And Im sure the problem is not because of these programs because I installed teamspeak and ventrilo, which are programs for comunication.  Antvirus scan was the first think I have done but nothink found. I use avast antivirus. System version Windows 7 Profesional 64 bit.

How can I show here my screenshot? I want to show you how does it look.
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 8:41 PM
  • Hi wolfi3b,

Let's first see if the issue can be resolved by changing the Group Policy:

1.     Go to Start, type Group Policy in the Search Box and then click Edit group policy.

2.     Expand the following item from the left pane:

User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Desktop -> Desktop

3.     Double click Desktop Wallpaper on the right pane, choose Disable and then click OK.

Exit Group Policy Editor and see if the wallpaper can be changed.

What is the result? However, if the issue persists after checking the Group Policy, you can test the issue in a new user account. To do this, please go to Control Panel -> View by: Category -> Add or remove user accounts -> Create a new account.

If the issue does not occur in the new user account, we can transfer the personal files to this account to resolve this issue.

If the issue still exists, please capture some screenshots of the current situation of this issue by the steps below:

1. Press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.

2. Click the "Start" menu, type "mspaint" in the Search Bar and Press Enter.

3. In the Paint program, click the "Edit" menu, click "Paste", click the "File" menu, and click "Save".

4. The "Save As" dialogue box will appear. Type a file name in the "File name:" box, for example: "screenshot".

5. Make sure "JPEG (*.JPG;*.JPEG;*.JPE;*.JFIF)" is selected in the "Save as type" box, click "Desktop" on the left pane and then click "Save".

6. Please upload the screenshot to your SkyDrive at www.skydrive.live.com and let me know the link.

Regards,

Linda

Thursday, September 10, 2009 8:42 AM
  • Hi,
    realy thanks a lot for your answer, however I tryed everything and issue still here even when I create new user. Nothing changed =o(

here is my screen:

Thursday, September 10, 2009 4:53 PM
  • wolfie3b - are you sure you using windows7 final? Could you please type "winver" (no quotes) into your start menu search box and click to open it, then upload a screenshot?
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 5:23 PM
  • Yes Im quite sure. As I wrote in the first post, our school has a deal with microsoft. Its kind of students program. So we have software we need for free when using for noncommercial purposes. And as well, I mentioned that for week or two, after instalation everything worked ok...so I dont suppose the problem is with version of windows. Bud anyway here is the screen you asked for :

Its realy strange,isnt it? I dont understand whats wrong.
    Friday, September 11, 2009 12:42 AM
  • I'm not trying to avoid the issue, but the personaliztion interface you have described and the image you posted is the exact same as Windows Vista's background selection interface and not the same as the image posted for Windows 7's background selection page, at least for Windows 7 Ultimate or Enterprise this holds true although your version is right there, unless Windows 7 Professional has the same background selection page that vista uses.

Was your Windows 7 installation upgraded from Windows vista? This could explain why Vista's background page is still there, perhaps there was an error during the upgrade process and you still have the same page, that may be why it does not work properly, of couse this is just speculation.
    • Proposed as answer by ONE ZERO Sunday, September 20, 2009 1:36 PM
    Friday, September 11, 2009 1:30 AM
  • I know you are not trying to avoid it. Im sorry if it souded like that. I didnt mean it this way.
    Problem is, I dont remember how it looked when it worked. I didint thought It can be important so I never realy mentioned. So I dont know If it looked like this befere, when everythink was ok, or it changed when the issue appeared.
    Anyway, about instalation, no It wasnt uprgrade. I formated old system and made a plain new instalation. Bud its good idea, if it was upgradet It could by reason for this problem. Hmmm...but...when I think about it, Im not sure. You know, because still, situation is, that after instalation, everything worked without problems. I changet background many many many times. Hmm.....its like something happend but I cant find whats changed. I thought restore option can help when Linda made this suggestion, but nothink even when I tryed create new user. When logged as the new user problem was here as well. It doesent make any sense to me.
    Friday, September 11, 2009 8:17 AM
  • wolfi3b,

According to the screenshot you provided, the screen layout looks like Windows Vista. In addition, "animated wallpaper" feature is removed from Windows 7. Therefore, I would like to confirm if you have installed certain wallpaper software. If so, please uninstall it to see if the issue can be resolved.

In addition, please also test the issue in Clean Boot. If the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

However, if the issue persists, you can also try reformat the hard drive and reinstall Windows 7

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by wolfi3b Friday, September 11, 2009 12:45 PM
    • Edited by Linda Yan Friday, September 25, 2009 5:15 AM
    Friday, September 11, 2009 8:23 AM
  • Unbelievable....Im gonna have to have realy deep-going conversation with my sister. I didnt instaled anything like this on my pc. You know, I use it mainly for work, but as well I let my sister sometimes use it, so there are some staff like games and etc. But she installed without my permission, some software from stardock called impulse with program desk scapes which is,as I found on net, mainly used for animated desktop. Because I didnt installed anything conected with desktop and she is not allowed to instal anything without me, probably I didnt looked properly on the text in that window. When you mentioned there is phrase "animated wallpaper" and asked if I installed something like this, I looked in application wizzard and found there is something I dont recognize, one program called impule one called desk scapes. When I uninstalled both of them, everything fixed.
    Im realy glad you are so thoughful and mentioned it. Thank you very much, Its realy shame on me I didnt find by my own and  I realy appreciate you all helped me.
    Thank you very much one more time and lets hope no more issues appear again.

Regards,
    Tom
    Friday, September 11, 2009 12:45 PM
  • I am currently having the same issue. I am a stardock user (windowsblinds, impulse) and upgraded from Vista to 7. At first I didn't have these issues... just like woldi3b had experienced. My personalize screen looks just like wolfi3b's and not like the screen shot nitinagarwal1988 posted. I just wanted to confirm that this is caused by an issue with stardock programs and they should go away once you uninstall (it worked for me.. I cannot claim that it will work for everyone). 

I hope that this incompatibility issue will be resolved as I am a paying stardock user.
    • Proposed as answer by k0ph Sunday, September 20, 2009 1:31 PM
    Sunday, September 20, 2009 1:31 PM
  • If you are using any desktop modification programs, such as ObjectDock, Rainmeter, Rainlendar, or DeskScapes, those can cause this problem.
    I was having the same issue as you, wolf, but I uninstalled Deskscapes and everything started working as intended.
    Friday, October 23, 2009 3:08 AM