Ex2010. A parsing error has occurred: MIME content error: Single text value size (33027) exceeded allowed maximum (32768). RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

There is Exchange 2010 SP3 RU27 CAS server.

On some input messages with very large "to:" field in the envelope I get error: A parsing error has occurred: MIME content error: Single text value size (33027) exceeded allowed maximum (32768).

How can I increase allowed maximum?

Thanks...

Wednesday, May 29, 2019 4:55 AM

All replies

• RFC 2821, the SMTP specification, specifies a limit of 100 recipients.  You're hitting a limit in the RCPT TO command of 33027, which tells me the message has far more recipients than allowed in the specification.  This means that Exchange is not at fault.

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2821#section-3.8.5

The solution is to tell the senders to not do that.  Send such messages with the recipients in the BCC field, which results in separate messages to everyone.

The sending system should be limiting this so you don't have to deal with it.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

• Edited by Ed CrowleyMVP Wednesday, May 29, 2019 5:02 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Niko.Cheng Thursday, May 30, 2019 9:06 AM
    Wednesday, May 29, 2019 5:01 PM
  • Thank you for your answer. 

>The solution is to tell the senders to not do that. 

I know it... but it is "mission imposible". Sender is the state organization, the information is very importent.

Also, many mail providers nomally accept such messages (ex, yandex.ru, CGP) and I can not explain to the customer why a neigbor can recive the message but I can't...

Thursday, May 30, 2019 12:56 AM
  • It's probably because their mail systems apparently overlook the RFC non-compliance.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Thursday, May 30, 2019 2:30 AM
  • Thank you for your answer. 

>It's probably because their mail systems apparently overlook the RFC non-compliance.

Yes, it is true. But it works at @yandex.ru server and customer can not uderstend why his "good expensive server" can't do the same. 

So question stays opened... how increase allowed maximum? Or, may be, there are some other TECHNICAL solutions...

Thursday, May 30, 2019 5:11 AM

• So question stays opened... how increase allowed maximum? Or, may be, there are some other TECHNICAL solutions...

Hi Vostokcement,

Per my knowledge, there is no built-in feature in exchange could increase allowed maximum. I would recommend you open a ticket to check if there are some other technical solutions.

Best Regards,
    Niko Cheng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Niko.Cheng Tuesday, June 11, 2019 8:48 AM
    Monday, June 3, 2019 9:15 AM