none
PRIMARY DPM RECOVERY RRS feed

• Question

• Hej!!!

I have one question about primary dpm recovery. I have 2 dpm servers and I want to try to restore my primary dpm.Which parts should i protect on my secundary. Is it important to protect All shares or i can protect system protection, protected servers and sql servers without all shares???Or maybe it is enough to protect system protection and restore my primary with bare metal??? Please help!!!

Regards,

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 7:47 AM

Answers

• Hi Sean,

Thank you for your help but that what i want to know is which parts a need to take backup if i delete my primary dpm and want to restore it from my secondary? I must protect all shares or it is enough with protected servers, sql and primary dpm system protection?

Regards,

Hi Ultra_Cool,

What Sean has stated is correct and would work and be fast. You do not have to protect all the things from your list, but if you do that would be sufficient. It depends on what you need. Your best option is to protect the Primary DPM's database, the protected servers on your primary DPM and build redundancy into your primary DPM servers storage pool.

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.dpm2010.com
    • Marked as answer by Nedim Mehic Thursday, December 22, 2011 7:08 AM
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 8:36 AM
  • Hi Buchatech,

Thank you very much and if i ask one more question (sorry i am new  in dpm so must ask to be sure). When i expand protected servers shall i take backup on all volumes and system protection or i need only to protect system protection of protected servers. If i check in only system protection and restore replica on my primary dpm and expand protected servers, shall i be able to see all volumes also or i will be able to see only system protection map.

Regards,

Hi Ultra_Cool,

System protection only includes either BMR which by default includes system state and the system drive (typically C:\) unless you added other drives to the BMR. If you only protected system state on a protected server on the Primary DPM server then it would include system state only. If your protected server has other volumes such as D:\ E:\ etc then you will want to protect them as they are not included in BMR by default.

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 6:02 PM

All replies

• When backing up a secondary dpm server you only need to backup the dpm primary server's database. For example lets say you had a raid 1 array for the os on your primary server and it became corrupt but the primary server's dpm storage was ok. You could rebuild the os really quickly and then restore the database and the primary dpm server would be back up and running.

Of course you can do bare metal restore but why bother as it will take up more space and the primary server's dpm database will be small and very quick to backup and restore.

Sean

Sean
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 11:35 PM
  • Hi Sean,

Thank you for your help but that what i want to know is which parts a need to take backup if i delete my primary dpm and want to restore it from my secondary? I must protect all shares or it is enough with protected servers, sql and primary dpm system protection?

Regards,

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 7:39 AM
  • Hi Sean,

Regards,

Hi Ultra_Cool,

What Sean has stated is correct and would work and be fast. You do not have to protect all the things from your list, but if you do that would be sufficient. It depends on what you need. Your best option is to protect the Primary DPM's database, the protected servers on your primary DPM and build redundancy into your primary DPM servers storage pool.

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 8:36 AM
  • Hi Buchatech,

Thank you very much and if i ask one more question (sorry i am new  in dpm so must ask to be sure). When i expand protected servers shall i take backup on all volumes and system protection or i need only to protect system protection of protected servers. If i check in only system protection and restore replica on my primary dpm and expand protected servers, shall i be able to see all volumes also or i will be able to see only system protection map.

Regards,

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 9:47 AM
  • Hi Buchatech,

Regards,

Hi Ultra_Cool,

System protection only includes either BMR which by default includes system state and the system drive (typically C:\) unless you added other drives to the BMR. If you only protected system state on a protected server on the Primary DPM server then it would include system state only. If your protected server has other volumes such as D:\ E:\ etc then you will want to protect them as they are not included in BMR by default.

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 6:02 PM
  • Thank you very much Buchatech :)))
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 7:08 AM