Adding Distribution Points with Current SCCM\Endpoint Configuration Manager RRS feed

• Question

• Guys, With experience adding Distribution Points in Production environments, What do you recommend, Letting SCCM install IIS role with features and MDT toolkit.  Or do you recommend, going into the file server where I'm planning to configure as a Distribution Point, and manually configuring the IIS roles with features through Server Manager tool, then adding role and features.  Then installing the Deployment toolkit from exe install.  Also, with both process that I'm suggesting.  With either process, will I need to reboot the file server, to finish off process?
    Tuesday, March 3, 2020 6:31 PM

Answers

• There are no service accounts in ConfigMgr. Any accounts defined within ConfigMgr are run as accounts and have the permissions that you've granted them.

Jason | https://home.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

Saturday, March 14, 2020 1:05 AM

All replies

• Hi,

ConfigMgr doesn't install the prerequisites of DP, you have to install them before adding the role.

Refer to the following step-by-step guide:

>Then installing the Deployment toolkit from exe install.

Why you want install MDT into the new DP ? If you want integrate MDT with SCCM, refer to this:

Regards,

Youssef Saad | Blog LinkedIn | Twitter

Please remember to mark the replies as answer if they help, thank you!

Tuesday, March 3, 2020 6:45 PM
  • Thanks for the feedback, I would need to install MDT on a distribution Point for OS deployments or Upgrade through PXE setup and configuration.  From what I understand, if MDT is not installed on the distribution Point, then when trying to do a deployment to that distribution Point, it will not work it.
    Tuesday, March 3, 2020 6:59 PM
  • No, you don't need to install MDT, you can deploy the OS with SCCM, the clients will use the DP to:

• Boot from the PXE (If it's enabled).
    • Download the content (Operating system, software updates...).

More details:

Regards,

Tuesday, March 3, 2020 7:03 PM
  • Hi,

When you install a new distribution point, you use an installation wizard that walks you through the available settings. Before you start, consider the following prerequisites:
    1. You must have the following security permissions to create and configure a distribution point:
    2. Read for the Distribution Point object
    3. Copy to Distribution Point for the Distribution Point object
    4. Modify for the Site object
    5. Manage Certificates for Operating System Deployment for the Site object
    6. Install Internet Information Services (IIS) on the Windows server that hosts the distribution point. Or, when you install the site system role, Configuration Manager can install and configure IIS for you.
    Please refer to the following article for more information on specific installation steps:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/configmgr/core/servers/deploy/configure/install-and-configure-distribution-points#bkmk_install-procedure

In addition, Configuration Manager provides us with very powerful deployment features, and we can use it very conveniently to deploy applications, software updates, operating systems, etc. for us.
    There are many operating system deployment scenarios in Configuration Manager that you can choose from depending on your environment and the purpose for the operating system installation. For more details, see:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/configmgr/osd/deploy-use/scenarios-to-deploy-enterprise-operating-systems

Best regards,
    Larry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 4, 2020 11:52 AM
  • Hi,

How are things going? I just checked in to see if there are any updates. Please feel free to feedback and if the above reply is helpful, please kindly click “Mark as answer”. It would make the reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar question.

Thank you!

Best regards,
    Larry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 6, 2020 11:40 AM
  • Hey Larry, I'm planning on adding a distribution point in a production environment this upcoming Tuesday on(3/10/20).  I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the feedback

Friday, March 6, 2020 3:20 PM
  • Larry, I do have an additional question. I am going to be adding the distribution point with a service account of SCCM.  I have a SCCM service account for joining computer account for task sequence.  I also have another account for network accounts authenticating with Configuration Manager.  Which one works better from your perspective to create a distribution point from file server.  I want a second opinion on this.   I have worked with SCCM service accounts in the past, and usually these type accounts work the administration task that I need within SCCM.

Monday, March 9, 2020 8:01 PM
  • Larry I confused this original question, The SCCM network access service account is used for Task Sequences and authenticating accounts with SCCM.  I should be able to use that same account to add Distribution Points in environment.  The other SCCM service account is used was another purpose, most likely was used as part of installing Configuration Manager itself.
    Tuesday, March 10, 2020 1:38 PM
  • What do you mean by "account to add Distribution Points in environment" ?

Client computers use the network access account when they can't use their local computer account to access content on distribution points.

More details about the different accounts used by ConfigMgr:

Regards,

• Proposed as answer by SAAD Youssef Saturday, April 18, 2020 1:40 PM
    Tuesday, March 10, 2020 1:50 PM
  • Bottom line is I wanted to use a Service Account to log into the SCCM console and add a system site role which is was going to be a distribution point.  I ended up using my admin account which should of had enough privileges' overall with SCCM.  I was able to add the distribution point.  . 
    Thursday, March 12, 2020 5:21 PM
  • There are no service accounts in ConfigMgr. Any accounts defined within ConfigMgr are run as accounts and have the permissions that you've granted them.

Jason | https://home.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

Saturday, March 14, 2020 1:05 AM
  • Thanks for feedback.
    Friday, March 27, 2020 12:32 PM