I just inherited WSUS RRS feed

• Question

• I am new to WSUS and was giving the responsibility to get it "up to date" for our organization. It hadn't been updated in a couple of years so I have over 5,000 updates.

My question is, can I delete all these and start from scratch? Tomorrow morning when the wsus server synchronizes, will it pull what is needed or will I end up getting 5,000+ updates?

Thanks

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 7:07 PM

Answers

• Is there a quick way to clear out the superceded updates?

There is a 'perhaps more efficient' way....

Create a Custom Update View.

Enable the Supersedence Flag column.

Enable the Installed/NotApplicable Percentage column.

Sort on the Supersedence Flag and focus on the updates that are superseded.

Select the superseded updates that have 100% Installed/NotApplicable percentages. (Note: Updates that are superseded and are not 100% Installed/NotApplicable are missing from one or more systems and investigation as to why a superseded update is missing would be advised. Typically this is because the newer updates are not approved/installed.

To that point, rather than focus on superseded updates initially, I would focus on getting the NEEDED updates approved and installed (but do not approve superseded updates). It will actually help significantly with simplifying the effort in cleaning up the superseded updates that are not needed anymore. Among other things, it will increase the number of superseded updates that do report 100% Installed/NotApplicable, which will increase the number of superseded updates that you can decline.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2013)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

• Proposed as answer by antwesor Wednesday, March 27, 2013 2:33 PM
    • Marked as answer by Clarence Zhang Monday, April 1, 2013 6:44 AM
    Tuesday, March 26, 2013 10:28 PM
  • I am new to WSUS and was giving the responsibility to get it "up to date" for our organization. It hadn't been updated in a couple of years so I have over 5,000 updates.

My question is, can I delete all these and start from scratch? Tomorrow morning when the wsus server synchronizes, will it pull what is needed or will I end up getting 5,000+ updates?

Thanks

The best practices for approving that many updates is to clear out the superceded updates and updates that apply to your environment BEFORE approving. If possible create a test group in WSUS and populate it with a few workstations/servers and then approve for that group first. Another thing to check is Products and Classifications to make sure you only have the products and classifications that are in your environment. Make sure that you do NOT choose drivers, it is standard practice to not select the drivers classification. Hope this helps.
    Tuesday, March 26, 2013 7:31 PM

All replies

Thanks

The best practices for approving that many updates is to clear out the superceded updates and updates that apply to your environment BEFORE approving. If possible create a test group in WSUS and populate it with a few workstations/servers and then approve for that group first. Another thing to check is Products and Classifications to make sure you only have the products and classifications that are in your environment. Make sure that you do NOT choose drivers, it is standard practice to not select the drivers classification. Hope this helps.
    Tuesday, March 26, 2013 7:31 PM
  • Thanks for the help. I was already in the process of deleting the superceded updates but with over 5,000+ (5,377) out there, just taking forever. Unless I am going about it the long way. Is there a quick way to clear out the superceded updates?
    Tuesday, March 26, 2013 8:21 PM
  • Is there a quick way to clear out the superceded updates?

There is a 'perhaps more efficient' way....

Create a Custom Update View.

Enable the Supersedence Flag column.

Enable the Installed/NotApplicable Percentage column.

Sort on the Supersedence Flag and focus on the updates that are superseded.

Select the superseded updates that have 100% Installed/NotApplicable percentages. (Note: Updates that are superseded and are not 100% Installed/NotApplicable are missing from one or more systems and investigation as to why a superseded update is missing would be advised. Typically this is because the newer updates are not approved/installed.

To that point, rather than focus on superseded updates initially, I would focus on getting the NEEDED updates approved and installed (but do not approve superseded updates). It will actually help significantly with simplifying the effort in cleaning up the superseded updates that are not needed anymore. Among other things, it will increase the number of superseded updates that do report 100% Installed/NotApplicable, which will increase the number of superseded updates that you can decline.

SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2013)
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

• Proposed as answer by antwesor Wednesday, March 27, 2013 2:33 PM
    • Marked as answer by Clarence Zhang Monday, April 1, 2013 6:44 AM
    Tuesday, March 26, 2013 10:28 PM
  • Thank you, I have dropped from over 5,000 down to just over 1,000. A bit more manageable.

My next question is. I have a test group built. I have the updates selected that go to the test group. If I want to test it now, is there a way to do it? Seems like once I approve the ones I want it doesn't happen until late at night. Which I understand why but for testing a small group I would like to test now.

Is there a way or am I just missing something?

Thank you

Should ask. How do I force the client to go out and pull the updates?
    • Edited by bbrixey Wednesday, March 27, 2013 8:48 PM
    Wednesday, March 27, 2013 6:23 PM
  • Thank you, I have dropped from over 5,000 down to just over 1,000. A bit more manageable.

My next question is. I have a test group built. I have the updates selected that go to the test group. If I want to test it now, is there a way to do it? Seems like once I approve the ones I want it doesn't happen until late at night. Which I understand why but for testing a small group I would like to test now.

Is there a way or am I just missing something?

Thank you

Well, the workstations check into the WSUS server for updates in a 17-22 hour cycle. If updates are set to install at 3am (the default) then if the updates were downloaded to the clients, after being shown that they are needed, they will install at 3am. Hope this helps. 

Lawrence can explain it much better than I can, but I thought I would give it a shot.

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 8:49 PM
  • That's what I am trying to locate. Where to change the time that the workstations use to check into the WSUS server.

Just seems like there has to be a way to be able to test. I have gone through the setup again on the WSUS server and see where the server syncs with microsoft. That's set at 5:00 a.m.

I even went into one of the test workstations and looked at wuauclt.exe (not knowing where else to look) to see if there where any time settings at the workstation.

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 9:35 PM
  • Where to change the time that the workstations use to check into the WSUS server.

The Detection Frequency is set in Group Policy along with all the rest of the WUAgent configuration settings:

See Automatic Updates detection frequency

SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2013)
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 4:52 AM