none
Old domain credentials work when prompted for Administrative credentials. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I've come across something puzzling.

Per customer's request, we had changed the Administrator's credentials about a year ago.

On client workstations, Domain Users do not have Administrative privileges, and consequently need the Local Admin or Domain Admin credentials to install any software on the workstation.

We found however, that the former Administrator credentials are successfully accepted to proceed with this task.  Oddly, even the new Administrator credentials work.

I am going to ensure that the workstation is current in terms of updates.  We may remove and rejoin from the domain.  The credential manager does not have any saved passwords.

Has anyone seen anything like this?  Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Rudy 

Friday, June 7, 2019 10:09 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Rudy,

It sounds like you are logging in using cached credentials. By default, Windows clients cache the last 10 credentials used to log in on a machine, to improve performance and provide some fault-tolerance against network or DC downtime.

Check out http://searchwindowsserver.techtarget.com/tip/Restricting-cached-credentials-in-Windows for a more detailed explanation and a solution using GPO.

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

To disable cached credentials, simply alter the appropriate GPOs so that every system in the environment has the Computer Configuration, Windows Setting, Local Policy, Security Options control of "Interactive Logon: Number of previous logons to cache (in case domain controller is not available)" to 0 logons (from the default of 10).

Besides, try to manually configure local administrator’s password and restart again.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 10, 2019 2:10 AM
  • I had them bring all Window updates current. That took care of the problem.

Regards,

Rudy

Thursday, July 18, 2019 9:12 PM