sbs2011 update server not installing RRS feed

• Question

• I have a small network build around an SBS2011 server. In general it works fine but there are a few things that I need to take care of and I can't find a solution for them. I'll post a few questions so as not to mix that all up.

Besides the server, there is a few computers (Win 7 and Win 8.1 mostly), and a couple of NAS devices running a verison of Linux (Buffalo Storage and others). The routing is done through a Netgear firewall.The SBS console always showed that it could not connect to my desktop because it would not respond to any of the permitted protocols (or something like that). So my desktop never got updated, and I had to do that manually. In the end I decided to delete that role from the server (the other PCs do their own updates). Recently I wanted to install the WSUS role again for another comuter, but I can't. the server attempts to "download the update", then shows me an error message that "The update could not be found. There may be a connection issue." Now, I can use the browser on the computer to go to any web site, so I don't think there is a network issue.

How do I get around this?

Again, I have searched the web for solutins and tried many different "remedies". Unfortunately, none worked ...

Saturday, April 30, 2016 3:41 PM

All replies

• Hi vistauser111,

>The SBS console always showed that it could not connect to my desktop because it would not respond to any of the permitted protocols (or something like that). So my desktop never got updated, and I had to do that manually.

There is a forum specific for SBS issues, for SBS questions, you may turn to this forum for better help:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=smallbusinessserver

>Recently I wanted to install the WSUS role again for another comuter, but I can't. 

What is the computer's OS you install the WSUS role on?

Which step do you fail to install the WSUS role, is it in post-installation step? Or if you install WSUS in SBS server, as far as I know, the installation step might be a little different from other OS. 

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 2, 2016 5:49 AM
  • Thanks. I have posted the question on the other thread:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/c7e9e44e-34b6-4931-b45d-049fe6c525a8/cannot-reinstall-wsus-on-sbs2011?forum=smallbusinessserver. Please respond there.

I am trying to re-install WSUS on the same server that I uninstalled if before: SBS2011. I go to the Server manager, and "add Role". When I select "Windows Server update Services", the installation begins, but then ends with the error message that "The update could not be found. There may be a connection issue."

Monday, May 2, 2016 5:27 PM
  • Hi vistauser,

> So my desktop never got updated, and I had to do that manually.

For windows updates issue, we may check the windows update log locates in C:\windows\windowsupdate.log, check if there are any errors in windows update. You may also post the recent log here for further troubleshooting.

>When I select "Windows Server update Services", the installation begins, but then ends with the error message that "The update could not be found. There may be a connection issue."

Do you use WID for the WSUS before removing the role, if yes, when remove the WSUS role, we need to remove the SUSDB.mdf and SUSDB_log.ldf too. If not, when re-install the role, there might be a database conflict.

(Besides, for WSUS issues, please keep asking in this post.)

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 3, 2016 3:19 AM
  • Hi vistauser,

Have you got any progress with your issue? Feel free to feed back.

Best Regards,

Anne

Friday, May 6, 2016 8:25 AM
  • Thanks. I am updating windows on the server now.

So far nothing seems to have been downloaded (Downloading 11 updates ("0 KB total, 0% complete"), and the Windows log shows an error:

2016-05-09 22:27:55:330  944 29ac Handler CBS called Error with 0x800f0816,

I will just keep it running and see where it leads.

> we need to remove the SUSDB.mdf and SUSDB_log.ldf too. If not, when re-install the role, there might be a database conflict.

Sounds promising. How do I do that?

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 4:33 AM
  • Hi vistauser,

To remove folder SUSDB.mdf and SUSDB_log.ldf, we just find them in C:\Windows\WID\Data, then delete them.

Best Regards,

Anne

Friday, May 13, 2016 1:53 AM
  • Thanks, but there is a small problem: My C:\windoes folder does not have a WID folder ...

I just tried to install WSUS through the roles wizard, and it fails again. When I open "updates" on the SBS2011 console, it tells me that the "update service is not properly installed. The following file or one of its dependencies is missing: Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration, version=3.1.6001.1, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=xxxxxxxxxxx" (whith the x's a real string. Don't know if that should be public.)

Friday, May 13, 2016 3:25 PM