installing WSUS on server 2012 and running into errors. RRS feed

• Question

• for the longest time i was getting Access Denied errors but i think i am passed that now. but i am now running into this error. For the life of me i cannot figure this out. I am hoping someone can shed some light as to the reason I am getting this error. This server is a pretty vanilla server. Mostly printer server and runs Spiceworks, thats it. 

I have disable Windows firewall and antivirus.

2017-07-13 16:42:11  CreateDefaultSubscription failed. Exception: System.Net.WebException: The request failed with HTTP status 400: Bad Request.
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.ApiRemoting.GetServerVersion()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.DatabaseAccess.AdminDataAccessProxy.GetServerVersion()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.UpdateServer.CreateUpdateServer(String serverName, Boolean useSecureConnection, Int32 portNumber)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.UpdateServer..ctor(Boolean bypassApiRemoting)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Setup.StartServer.StartServer.CreateDefaultSubscription()
    2017-07-13 16:42:11  StartServer encountered errors. Exception=The request failed with HTTP status 400: Bad Request.
    2017-07-13 16:42:11  Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.CommandException: Failed to start and configure the WSUS service
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.PostInstall.Run()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.PostInstall.Execute(String[] arguments)

Thursday, July 13, 2017 8:52 PM

All replies

• Hello,

I suggest you open the IIS console and delete the WSUS site and perform the post installation task again and check the result. 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 14, 2017 1:43 AM
  • wsusUtil.exe postinstall content_dir=c:\wsus 

I attempted the post installation and received this error Fatal Error: Failed To Start and configure the WSUS service

The WSUS service is using the Network Service account.

Friday, July 14, 2017 12:05 PM
  • looks like i was pointing to the wrong location in my script. once I have set it correctly, i am back to square one. still getting

2017-07-14 08:13:41  CreateDefaultSubscription failed. Exception: System.Net.WebException: The request failed with HTTP status 400: Bad Request.
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.ApiRemoting.GetServerVersion()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.DatabaseAccess.AdminDataAccessProxy.GetServerVersion()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.UpdateServer.CreateUpdateServer(String serverName, Boolean useSecureConnection, Int32 portNumber)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.UpdateServer..ctor(Boolean bypassApiRemoting)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Setup.StartServer.StartServer.CreateDefaultSubscription()
    2017-07-14 08:13:41  StartServer encountered errors. Exception=The request failed with HTTP status 400: Bad Request.
    2017-07-14 08:13:41  Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.CommandException: Failed to start and configure the WSUS service
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.PostInstall.Run()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.PostInstall.Execute(String[] arguments)

Friday, July 14, 2017 12:14 PM
  • Hello,

Did you try to remove the WSUS site in IIS and re-launch the post installation?

I suggest you check the bindings for the WSUS website. 

Regards,

Yan Li

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Jeff Ragucci Saturday, December 21, 2019 8:04 PM
    Friday, July 21, 2017 6:56 AM
  • I know this thread is SUPER old but just wanted to say that deleting the WSUS site in IIS resolved my issue.  Was getting the same error (status 400).  

Saturday, December 21, 2019 8:03 PM