Always on high availability for SharePoint 2019 RRS feed

• Question

• The scenario is  Always on high availability for SharePoint 2019. 

While Installing using SharePoint Products Configuration Wizard, there is Specify Configuration Database Setting Screen.We have to specify the database  server.We have configured SQL Alias for the Primary Database Instance (Replica) and also there is AGListener. 

Which one we have to specify for the Database Server for creating SharePoint _Config and Admin databases ? is it SQL  Alias or AGListener ?

Saturday, May 16, 2020 4:28 PM

Answers

• You specify the AOAG Listener. The only exception is the Usage database which should not be made highly available.

You should not be using a SQL Alias in a highly available environment like this.

Trevor Seward

Office Apps and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2019

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Marked as answer by ghsajith Saturday, May 16, 2020 5:53 PM
    Saturday, May 16, 2020 4:52 PM

All replies

• You specify the AOAG Listener. The only exception is the Usage database which should not be made highly available.

You should not be using a SQL Alias in a highly available environment like this.

Trevor Seward

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Marked as answer by ghsajith Saturday, May 16, 2020 5:53 PM
    Saturday, May 16, 2020 4:52 PM
  • Thanks.
    Saturday, May 16, 2020 5:53 PM
  • What are the steps required in Active Directory and DNS for the Cluster and Listener ?
    Tuesday, May 19, 2020 11:25 AM
  • I would suggest you read through the documentation so you're familiar with the process.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/database-engine/availability-groups/windows/always-on-availability-groups-sql-server?view=sql-server-ver15

Trevor Seward

Tuesday, May 19, 2020 6:03 PM
  • 1) Can we include all the SharePoint databases including Usage Database (WSS_Logging) in the Availability Group for Synchronus Commit ? Does it impact network ?

2) Can we have read  replica in the Secondary (Synchronus commit) ?
    • Edited by ghsajith Sunday, June 28, 2020 1:56 PM update
    Sunday, June 28, 2020 1:51 PM
  • 1) You shouldn't and it technically isn't supported. It will also prevent you from completing the patching process.

2) SharePoint doesn't use read intent.

Trevor Seward

Sunday, June 28, 2020 10:15 PM
  • Thanks for the update.

Is it necessary to run the  power shell command for creating service applications like Subscription Settings, State Service etc in both the SharePoint Servers which is in the same farm ?

Monday, June 29, 2020 11:35 AM
  • You only need to run those once per farm.

Trevor Seward

Monday, June 29, 2020 4:28 PM
  • It is regarding  replica in the Secondary (Synchronus commit)  - SharePoint doesn't use read intent. 

When I try to open the secondary replica, i get the below messages. Is it by default or any configuration error ?

Monday, July 20, 2020 5:31 PM