none
How to display a custom formula field RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using project server 2013 and I've run across a problem, when trying to display a custom field with a formula in it.

I have created a basic Resource field with formula [Email Address], to simply replicate the email address field as a test, but when I go to add it to a Resource view i cannot locate it.

I have repeated this process with several different test formulas with no luck. 

Am I missing something obvious, or can I simply not add a custom field using a formula to a view?

Thanks,

Jacob Bennett

Wednesday, January 21, 2015 8:49 AM

Answers

• Jabada:

Here is what I suggest. Open a project from Project Server with lots of data in read-only mode in Project. Use the local custom field formula builder to verify that the field you want to use is available and actually works. Build your formula using the read only plan to verify that that you can get the result you desire. When you have it working, push it into Project Server. That's how I do it.

Sometimes you can reference a field that is not in the formula builder, but that is hit or miss. [Email Address] works in a local project but the behavior changes when connected to Project Server, so this particular field is a very bad test subject.

Show us the formulas you are trying to use if you need any further help with this.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Thursday, January 22, 2015 9:49 AM

All replies

• Jacob, I do not think it is possible to use the email address field in a formula in 2013 because I believe the data does not exist in project, rather it is read in from AD. Besides, it really does seem like a needless duplication. You might be able to populate this using VBA, but I haven't tried it.

Project Server Help BLOG

Wednesday, January 21, 2015 1:27 PM
  • the formula to copy the email address is simply a test to see if i could get any formula based field to display in a view.

My primary problem is that I cannot seem to insert any field that uses a formula into a view.

Thursday, January 22, 2015 12:06 AM
  • Jabada:

Here is what I suggest. Open a project from Project Server with lots of data in read-only mode in Project. Use the local custom field formula builder to verify that the field you want to use is available and actually works. Build your formula using the read only plan to verify that that you can get the result you desire. When you have it working, push it into Project Server. That's how I do it.

Sometimes you can reference a field that is not in the formula builder, but that is hit or miss. [Email Address] works in a local project but the behavior changes when connected to Project Server, so this particular field is a very bad test subject.

Show us the formulas you are trying to use if you need any further help with this.

Project Server Help BLOG

Thursday, January 22, 2015 9:49 AM