none
Steady State and network drive issue RRS feed

• Question

• I am having a issue in our labs that we use Steady State in. All our students get a mapped drive for their personal storage space out on a server (similar to redirected My Documents). They access it by going to their My Computer. When they access the network drive, it takes a long time (45 seconds to a minute) to open any folder or file on the network drive. If we shut Steady State off, the folders and files open in under 3 seconds. Is anyone else noticng this? We are running Windows XP SP 2 on a Windows 2003 domain. This only happens to student accounts. If I log in as an admin, my network drive comes right up. The machines are quad cores with 4 GB of memory running at 100 MB network speed. I would think that this should be plenty for Steady State. I tried reducing the cache size down thinking that Steady State had to do something with cache as the user accesses this drive but it did not make a difference. Is there maybe something conflicting with group policy that I should look at? Why would it be ok if steady state was off?
    Joe M
    Thursday, September 3, 2009 2:49 AM

Answers

• Hi Joe, based on the symptom, this issue can be related to restrictions in Windows SteadyState. As I cannot duplicate the issue on my test machines, I recommend you check different restriction level and see if the issue still occurs so that we can find which restriction is the root cause.

Also, let's temporarily disable restrictions in Set Computer Restrictions and see if the issue still occurs.
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Friday, September 4, 2009 4:47 AM