none
DPM 2010 - Weekly / Monthly tape backup on different days. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am hoping someone can share their experience with me. Up until now my weekly and monthly tape backups have occured at the same time on the same day...

I.e. PG1 = Weekly 21:00 Sat / Monthly 21:00 first Sat of Month

I am now having to change my Weekly backup to spread out the load on the tape library. So the new tape backup loks more like...

I.e. PG1 = Weekly 19:00 Fri / Monthly 21:00 first Sat of Month

My question is, when it comes to my Monthly backup, will DPM still attempt to write a weekly on the Friday? Or is it smart enough to know that the next day is "the first Sat of the month".  

Issue is if DPM does attempt to write a weekly on a Friday, then Monthly on the Saturday i will run out of tape. If I remove the "Monthly" and only have weekly's then the retention goes out the Window. I have used this product since 2007 and always found the tape backup scheduling frustrating.

Anyone's help would be greatly apreciated

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 4:04 PM

Answers

• Hi,

In our experience you need to keep the weekly and monthly
    backups on the same day. If you straddle the days you’ll get two sets of
    backups. DPM is smart enough to do as it was told, not work out how you’d like
    it work ;o)

Can you switch your weekly and monthly backups to a Friday?

Thanks,

John

Monday, March 26, 2012 9:37 AM

All replies

• Hi,

In our experience you need to keep the weekly and monthly
    backups on the same day. If you straddle the days you’ll get two sets of
    backups. DPM is smart enough to do as it was told, not work out how you’d like
    it work ;o)

Can you switch your weekly and monthly backups to a Friday?

Thanks,

John

Monday, March 26, 2012 9:37 AM
  • Hi John,

Thanks for your reply. I guess I came to that realization. I have adjusted my schedule so all tape backups fall on the Saturday.

Thanks

Monday, March 26, 2012 12:23 PM