none
how to use Kiosk mode on a touch screen with no keyboard

Question

• The way that Microsoft setup Kiosk mode is unusable. When a customer comes into our store and uses a browser restricted to only use the available links on the page (Kiosk mode) expecting them to know what key strokes they  need to use to go forward and backwards in the browser is unreasonable. The other problem is that we deploy touch screens with NO keyboards. Does anyone know how to use Kiosk mode but still have the navigation keys available for the users to select. The only other way I can think of doing this is to go to a totally different browser. To expect in this day and age, with the usage of touch screens, to still require a keyboard for navigation in kiosk mode is just silly. Now that I have vented any help would be appreciated.
    Friday, May 27, 2016 12:22 PM

Answers

• Hi xyzzy123_no_name_available,

If you are using "iexplore -k " as Kiosk mode. I am afraid there is no way to enable the "the navigation keys". This is by design. We have to use "keyboard shortcut" to forward and back.

"When you run Internet Explorer in Kiosk mode, the Internet Explorer title bar, menus, toolbars, and status bar are not displayed and Internet Explorer runs in Full Screen mode"

Here is a link for reference:
     How to use Kiosk Mode in Microsoft Internet Explorer (It is applied to the later version)
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/154780

As a work around, we could try to enable the on-board screen keyboard when we are on  Kiosk mode.

If you are using Windows 10, we could try to use the "Assigned access" feature and configure the Microsoft Edge as the assigned app. For example:
    Set-AssignedAccess -AppName Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge -UserName test

Best regards

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, May 30, 2016 9:19 AM