none
Applying a filter to just some KPIs, How to do with targets RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I have two questions:

1. I have set up a scorecard in which I have measures from several cubes, sharing the same time dimension, and I have also set up a time intelligence filter which works fine. However, in the scorecard I have also added a couple of manually entered KPIs and I do not want the TI filter to apply to these KPIs. That is, I would like to choose which of the KPI:s that could be filtered and the rest should just be “frozen”. How do I do this?
    2. I have another scorecard with just one measure. Two filters are in action; a TI filter (on columns) and a member selection filter (on rows). I have no targets set in the cube, so the target for the measure is manually set. The problem is that when I use the filters, all KPIs get that manually set target. Is there any way to avoid this, and manually set the targets for the KPIs showing up? This would of course be time consuming but could work for my purpose, which is just to show some functionality. When putting a scorecard like this (with a lot of different KPI opportunities) live, what is best (or only) practice when it comes to targets?
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 3:11 PM

Answers

• To apply a filter to the scorecard and have it affect both actuals and targets, the actual and target both must come from the same data source and you must have a measure that represents actual and one that represents target in the data source.  There isn't a way to apply a single filter to a scorecard that is sourcing data from 2 different data sources currently.
    So, if you had a cube for instance and a measure in the cube for actual and another for target, then when you applied the filters it would pull the values from the cube based on the dimension selections and measure selections for each cell.
    Hope this helps.
    Thanks,
    Alyson
    • Marked as answer by Marcus84 Thursday, September 10, 2009 1:21 PM
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 2:24 PM

All replies

• We do not have the ability to selectivey apply filters to KPIs in a single scorecard. 
    For the second case above, you mention using just one measure but having multiple KPIs is that because you have dimensional KPIs? 
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 2:23 PM
  • Hi Alyson and a late thanks for the reply.

In regards two the second question... What I have is one imported measure Amount in a Sales cube. The two filters mentioned give me 8 rows and 3 columns. Every row shows the amount for a specific sales channel (these 8 rows are what I called KPIs, while sales amount is the measure...which I now realize doesn´t match DD-language). What I get is a scorecard that have all green indicators as the target and actual values are the same or, if I set a target (e.g 100000) manually while creating the scorecard, all shown target values in my 8 row, 3 column scorecard equals that set target (100000).

What I wonder is how do I do if I want the scorecard to show real target values (target sales amount) for every sales channel (row). How is this done, what is best practice? Depending on the filters, I can get a lot of rows (e.g. sales channels) and columns so the scorecard can show a lot of values.

I have read that target values can be put in a cube or in an excel sheet and I suppose a sharepoint list can work too...  I haven´t done this, but I suppose a could manually change the data source for a KPI and pull the target from that data source. But I don´t think that would help when applying the filter, would it? How does DD manage to show target values for all possible combinations of for example sales amount, sales channels and years?
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 1:57 PM
  • To apply a filter to the scorecard and have it affect both actuals and targets, the actual and target both must come from the same data source and you must have a measure that represents actual and one that represents target in the data source.  There isn't a way to apply a single filter to a scorecard that is sourcing data from 2 different data sources currently.
    So, if you had a cube for instance and a measure in the cube for actual and another for target, then when you applied the filters it would pull the values from the cube based on the dimension selections and measure selections for each cell.
    Hope this helps.
    Thanks,
    Alyson
    • Marked as answer by Marcus84 Thursday, September 10, 2009 1:21 PM
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 2:24 PM