none
Scavenging for AD integrated zones RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm currently doing some testing in laboratory before applying settings for a customer.

In my scenario, I have one domain with 2 DC's with DNS installed (1 x 2008 R2, 1 x 2012 R2). I have one AD integrated primary DNS zone.

On the 2012 R2 DNS server, I enabled ageing for all DNS zones (new and existing). Additionally, I then enabled the 2012 R2 server for scavenging. Given all zones are AD integrated, I had expected that when I enter the properties of any DNS zone on either DNS server, I would see that ageing is enabled. However, when I enter the properties of the forward lookup zone that corresponds to my domain (mydomain.local) on the 2012 R2 server I can see that ageing is enabled with the values I applied, but not on the same zone on the 2008 R2 server. That said, the DNS records do have timestamps and do correctly mention that they can be deleted when stale. Curiously, my reverse lookup zone does show the same ageing configuration on both servers.

Is this normal behaviour? I just want to make sure before applying the same configurations in production.

Thanks!

• Edited by johnny mango Tuesday, January 2, 2018 8:39 PM Typo
    Tuesday, January 2, 2018 6:44 PM

All replies

• Hi,

AD Integrated zones are similar to Primary zones, however their data is stored as binary data in the actual AD database and not as a text file. The specific place in the AD database depends on the DC’s operating system version and replication scope, which means what “logical” part of the physical AD database it’s stored in, which will affect which DCs in the forest it will replicate to.The zone data is replicated to other DCs in the replication scope where the data is stored.

There are some article about Scavenging and AD integrated zones

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc978010.aspx

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/networking/2008/03/19/dont-be-afraid-of-dns-scavenging-just-be-patient/

Best Regards,

Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 3, 2018 8:45 AM
  • Hi,
    Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 5, 2018 9:03 AM

• Hi,

Was your issue resolved? 

If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.
    If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.
    If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,
    Frank

Monday, January 8, 2018 9:12 AM