Downgrading from Vista Home to XP without an XP disk RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I recently bought a new laptop (a HP Pavilion dv9408nr Notebook) and it came preinstalled with Vista.  I have noticed from day 1 one that the speed the computer performs at and its reliability are far below what I expected compared to my old PC with XP. 

Vista also doesn't interact very well with many of the programs I use, some of which have been upgraded to be compatable with Vista.  I hate to say it but I am extremely dissatisfied with the quality of the Vista product.  As my laptop came with Vista preinstalled I do not have a copy of the XP CD so I can't use the technique described in the other threads to downgrade.  How else could I go about it?  I have been a loyal Microsoft customer for a very long time, and I really hope you could be of service to me in fixing this matter.
    Wednesday, December 5, 2007 10:55 PM

Answers

• Well, you cannot downgrade to Windows XP unless you actually own a genuine Windows XP installation CD and a genuine Windows XP product key (that is not currently used on any other computer).

Statement from HP:

If you have an HP Pavilion or Compaq Presario consumer notebook PC that shipped with Windows Vista, you should not attempt to downgrade to Windows XP. Changing the operating system (OS) will cause severe operational problems. Many of the components, such as sound, video, graphics, network connectivity, drives, or other devices and peripherals, may have limited functionality, or may not work at all. You should do some research on the support policies of hardware and software manufacturers, and review the problems experienced by other users, before you consider changing the operating system.
    You may experience the following conditions if you downgrade an HP Pavilion or Compaq Presario consumer notebook, which was designed for Vista, to an older operating system:
    HP does not provide Windows XP-compatible drivers for functions such as sound, video, graphics, network connectivity, drives, or other devices and peripherals for these consumer notebooks.
    Changing the operating system may require you to reinstall the original software image when troubleshooting possible software and hardware issues with technical support.
    Some component manufacturers do not provide Windows XP-compatible drivers for components that they designed for Windows Vista.
    Even if a third-party company or Windows itself can provide generic drivers that will allow all of your devices to operate, the performance of your HP PC may be less than optimal.

Please read the following:

Windows Vista Downgrad Rights:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/f/4/5f4c83d3-833e-4f11-8cbd-699b0c164182/royaltyoemreferencesheet.pdf

Issues you will experience if you downgrade from Vista to XP:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01092639&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=3439686&dlc=en&lang=en

Thursday, December 6, 2007 12:27 AM

All replies

• Well, you cannot downgrade to Windows XP unless you actually own a genuine Windows XP installation CD and a genuine Windows XP product key (that is not currently used on any other computer).

Statement from HP:

If you have an HP Pavilion or Compaq Presario consumer notebook PC that shipped with Windows Vista, you should not attempt to downgrade to Windows XP. Changing the operating system (OS) will cause severe operational problems. Many of the components, such as sound, video, graphics, network connectivity, drives, or other devices and peripherals, may have limited functionality, or may not work at all. You should do some research on the support policies of hardware and software manufacturers, and review the problems experienced by other users, before you consider changing the operating system.
    You may experience the following conditions if you downgrade an HP Pavilion or Compaq Presario consumer notebook, which was designed for Vista, to an older operating system:
    HP does not provide Windows XP-compatible drivers for functions such as sound, video, graphics, network connectivity, drives, or other devices and peripherals for these consumer notebooks.
    Changing the operating system may require you to reinstall the original software image when troubleshooting possible software and hardware issues with technical support.
    Some component manufacturers do not provide Windows XP-compatible drivers for components that they designed for Windows Vista.
    Even if a third-party company or Windows itself can provide generic drivers that will allow all of your devices to operate, the performance of your HP PC may be less than optimal.

Please read the following:

Windows Vista Downgrad Rights:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/f/4/5f4c83d3-833e-4f11-8cbd-699b0c164182/royaltyoemreferencesheet.pdf

Issues you will experience if you downgrade from Vista to XP:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01092639&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=3439686&dlc=en&lang=en

Thursday, December 6, 2007 12:27 AM
  • If we are not supposed to change a faulty system, why build machines with faulty Operating Systems? HP support does nothing to answer the question, but merely justifies the crap they roll out of the factory. I am also dissatisfied with Windows Vista and, unfortunately, through your lack of care for the customer, you have made it multiple times more difficult to fix what you sold broken.
    Friday, May 15, 2015 5:16 AM