Lock Favorties bar from changes in IE11? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to deploy Internet Explorer 11 in a Remote Desktop environment for several employees.  How do I lock the Favorites bar so that changes cannot be made?  Even when I select Lock, changes can be made, items deleted, added, etc. by normal users.  There does not seem to be a GPO for this.  Does anyone have any idea to simply make the favorites bar fixed and unchangeable by normal users?  This is under Windows Server 2012 R2.
    Tuesday, March 25, 2014 12:54 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I don't know such GPO for Favorites. But here is a workaround may help you. Log in Windows Server 2012 R2 with administrator, and grant the related permissions with Favorites folder in C:\Users\username.

Right click on Favorites folder, add the users you want into ACL and grant full control permissions under Security tab.

Or run such commands icacls "C:\Users\username\Favorites" /grant users:(OI)(CI)F

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753525.aspx

Andy Altmann
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Karen Hu Tuesday, April 8, 2014 2:45 AM
    Wednesday, March 26, 2014 11:36 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I don't know such GPO for Favorites. But here is a workaround may help you. Log in Windows Server 2012 R2 with administrator, and grant the related permissions with Favorites folder in C:\Users\username.

Right click on Favorites folder, add the users you want into ACL and grant full control permissions under Security tab.

Or run such commands icacls "C:\Users\username\Favorites" /grant users:(OI)(CI)F

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753525.aspx

Andy Altmann
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Karen Hu Tuesday, April 8, 2014 2:45 AM
    Wednesday, March 26, 2014 11:36 PM
  • Thanks for the response.  I've added WRITE restrctions to a given users "Favorites Bar" and this stops them from creating new entires, but they can still delete for some reason.  Maybe its this "Account Unknown (S-1-15-3-4096)" that is actually deleting it when the users clicks Delete.  You'll see it in the Security tab.
    Thursday, March 27, 2014 1:12 PM