Application Install problems (simple) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

So I'm having some issues doing very, very basic application installs. Basically I'm loading Flash, Java, and Adobe Reader in an image. I'll try to keep this simply and I'll cut it into a few parts. Screenshots of errors below. This should be very straightforward, what am I doing wrong?

FLASH PLAYER INSTALL

I have downloaded the IE-ActiveX.msi installer from Adobe distribution center. I subsequently added it as an application in MDT with quiet install command: msiexec.exe /i install_flash_player_23_active_x.msi /qn /norestart

I then added a task sequence for this and put that install after the Visual C++ packages. Issue: after deployment I receive a return code: 1603. I've Google'd this code and none of the problems apply to me. It's a new install, no duplicates, system permission is all give. See error screencaps below.

ACROBAT READER DC INSTALL

I downloaded this from the Adobe distrubution center as well. As before, I've added it as an application with a quiet install command: msiexec.exe /i Adobe_Reader_DC_MSI.msi /qn

I then added a task sequence for this install. Issue: after deployment it causes a problem because it tried to install it twice at the same time(?). See screenshot below for reference. It should be a quiet install with no user input, why is it prompting?

Java Install

I downloaded this from the manual download at Java. Specifically the 'Windows Offline' version called jre-8u111-windows-i586.exe. I added this as an application with command line: jre-8u111-windows-i586.exe /s IEXPLORER=1

I then added a task sequence for this install. Issue: after deploy I get an error code -80. No luck Googl'ing this return code.

Error screen 1

Error screen 2

Tuesday, December 20, 2016 6:03 PM

All replies

• As a starting point, I suggest checking the c:\windows\temp\deploymentlogs\ztiapplications.log for possible errors or check C:\Windows\CCM\Logs\SMSTSLog\smsts. 
    Tuesday, December 20, 2016 10:27 PM
  • Thank you for the idea. Unfortunately I do not see anything specific in the logs other than the error codes that are helpful. I've Google'd the codes but they do not apply and should not be returning. I do not understand how a simple install can fail so catastrophically.

I've done probably 15+ hours of research into this and it's becoming very frustrating not being able to load even Adobe Reader when every single guide makes it clear that all you need to do is upload the .msi file, set a command line to install, set a task sequence, and you're all set.

I will continue to put time into this project but honestly at this point I'm just out of ideas.

EDIT: Successfully installed Reader. I used adobe wizard to create a custom.mst file to run it quietly. Also had to change command line scripts. The one that worked is: msiexec /qb /i AcroRead.msi TRANSORMS=CustomMST.mst
    • Edited by Moonkae Wednesday, December 21, 2016 6:23 PM
    Wednesday, December 21, 2016 4:24 PM
  • Are you still having issues? For some of the mid installs I've had to do I needed to put the /wn in the front to get it to work right. Msiexec.exe /qn /i installer.msi. I also install Java but can't remember off the top of my head how my install string looks but will try to remember to look at it tomorrow.
    Friday, December 30, 2016 2:01 AM
  • I just saw your post, here's what I use:

Acrobat:

msiexec.exe /i AcroRead.msi /qn /norestart PATCH=AcroRdrDCUpd1502020039.msp TRANSFORMS=Custom.mst

Java:

jre-8u111-windows-i586.exe /s SPONSORS=0

Your MSI error could be from an application that is requiring a reboot. You may need to add "norestart" to your installer string or track down which app requires a reboot and add a reboot to your task sequence.

It shouldn't matter but I use vbscript wrappers for almost all my installations. You can also use that or powershell wrappers if you want to. Example - https://deploymentbunny.com/2014/09/25/nice-to-havevb-script-wrapper-for-all-vc-installers-to-be-used-in-mdt/

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Tuesday, January 3, 2017 5:56 PM