none
Copy and Paste to Project RRS feed

• Question

• I’d like to show a group of Project users how to easily move from Word or Excel to Project, but I can’t get it working the way I’d like.  I want to copy a task list with structure and additional data, but it seems like I either get the structure or the data but not both. 

For example, copy from a table in Word...when I paste in Project I get all of the data but no outline structure:

I can copy from a Word list...now I get structure but I can’t think of a way to get Start, Work or Resource Names in the same operation:

Is there a way to copy and paste data and structure at the same time?

Thanks!
    Mike

Tuesday, July 29, 2014 9:46 PM

Answers

• Hi Mike,

I can't reproduce the error.  I created a table in Word, listing each task in a separate row and indenting using CTRL+tab.  I copy/paste into Project and all is fine.

Below is the Word table:

AAnd the Project file:

Using Project 2010 (SP-2) and Word 2013.  i removed the assignments with zero hours as it makes no sense to assign to tasks with zero hours of work.

I'm not sure what is different in my scenario versus yours.  I hope this helps.

Wednesday, July 30, 2014 12:05 AM

All replies

• Hi Mike,

I can't reproduce the error.  I created a table in Word, listing each task in a separate row and indenting using CTRL+tab.  I copy/paste into Project and all is fine.

Below is the Word table:

AAnd the Project file:

Using Project 2010 (SP-2) and Word 2013.  i removed the assignments with zero hours as it makes no sense to assign to tasks with zero hours of work.

I'm not sure what is different in my scenario versus yours.  I hope this helps.

Wednesday, July 30, 2014 12:05 AM
  • Julie,

I did a quick test using Word 2010 and Project 2010. Using CTRL+tab in the Word table, copy and paste works fine, just like you show, but if I use Page Layout/Paragraph/Indent to format the Word table, the indent is lost when pasted into Project. I wonder if that is the difference.

John

Wednesday, July 30, 2014 1:42 AM

• John - you are correct in that I had tried two methods for creating the structure in Word; 1) using bullets with "tab" for indent and 2) using the Word "indent" button.  In both cases the indenting is lost when pasting into Project.

Julie - your method of using CTRL+Tab does work, but only for one level of indentation.  I went ahead with more of my sample project plan which has two levels of subtasks using CTRL+Tab with the following results:

So it seems I can show a project with one level of subtasks but no more.  In all cases I am using Word and Project 2013 fully updated,

Thanks!

• Edited by Mike Kremer Wednesday, July 30, 2014 5:19 PM
    Wednesday, July 30, 2014 6:35 AM
  • Hi Mike,

I just tried with 3 levels of indented tasks (using CTRL tab) with Word 2010 and Project 2010 and it works:

I don't have Project and Word 2013 right now but I'll try tonight.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

Wednesday, July 30, 2014 1:02 PM
  • Mike,

I concur with Guillaume in that multiple indents work fine using Julie's CTRL+tab approach, but I don't have Word 2013 so I don't know if there is a difference there.

If for some reason you can't get it to work, if you add the outline level as a column in the Word table, then the following macro will set the hierarchy in Project. Note: Add the hierarchy column in front of the Name column in the Word table and then make sure the Project template has the Text1 field to the left of the Task Name field in Project.

Sub SetHierarchy()
    Dim t As Task
    For Each t In ActiveProject.Tasks
        If Not t Is Nothing Then
            t.OutlineLevel = t.Text1
        End If
    Next t
    End Sub

John

Wednesday, July 30, 2014 2:38 PM
  • After a lot of experimentation I have gotten CTRL+tab * 2 to work in Word/Project 2013 with a work around.  If I indented my level 3 tasks in Word with 2 CTRL+Tab operations and then try to copy & paste to Project it does not work the first time.  But if I then delete those tabs and then apply them a second time, it seems to "take" and pasting into Project retains the full multi-level structure.  This is obviously a bit frustrating but probably not a scenario important enough for Microsoft to explore or fix. 
    Wednesday, July 30, 2014 8:37 PM
  • I' glad you were finally able to get things to work correctly.  I would also ensure that you show your users how easy it is to indent (and outdent) in Project.  I don't have 2013 with me right now to test the issue but I'll take a look when I a back at the home office.
    Thursday, July 31, 2014 10:19 AM