none
Error backing up Hyper-V host-level RRS feed

• Question

• I have a DPM2010 install configured to backup Hyper-V 8-node CSV cluster using Host and Guest level backups.  The Guest backups work fine, however when backing up the hosts, they fail with the following error:

Failure occurred while adding one or more of the volumes involved in backup operation to snapshot set. Please check the event log on WTSCCM00.WTHYPERVCLS00.DOMAINto troubleshoot the issue. (ID 30290 Details: Internal error code: 0x80990A00)

I cant find anything on this error anywhere, and nothing seems to be appearing in the event logs of the affected servers.  All hosts have the required 3 hotfixes and all guests have the latest integration services installed.  It seems to happen no matter which host the guests reside on.

Is anyone able to offer any suggestions?

Tuesday, June 8, 2010 9:34 AM

Answers

• When you install the VSS hardware provider from Equallogic it installs a client app (Remote setup Wizard - don't recall the exact name) where you can provide the CHAP credentials to create VSS hardware snapsthots.
    Thanks Shyama Hembram[MSFT] This posting is provided AS IS, with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by The Fair Thursday, June 10, 2010 2:38 PM
    Wednesday, June 9, 2010 5:42 PM
  • Have you checked your Equallogic configuration?

Equallogic Group Manager --> Group Configuration --> VDS/VSS

I've configured the VDS/VSS access on my equallogics by iSCSI initiator name of the cluster nodes.

I have installed HIT 3.3.1 on all cluster nodes (3 node cluster) and "child partition snapshot" backup of all VMs works great.

• Marked as answer by The Fair Thursday, June 10, 2010 2:39 PM
    Wednesday, June 9, 2010 6:59 PM

All replies

• Hi Jon,

Can you tell us which version of DPM 2010 you are using - RC or RTM?

Thanks Shyama Hembram[MSFT] This posting is provided AS IS, with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, June 8, 2010 1:52 PM
  • Hi Shyama, It is the RTM version that's being used on Win2008 R2 and all required hotfixes have been installed on the DPM server, Hyper-V hosts and guests.
    Tuesday, June 8, 2010 2:13 PM
  • Sorry, I should also add that the Hyper-V CSV is running on an Equalogic PS series and the Hyper-V hosts are using the latest version of the Equalogic Hardware Provider.
    Tuesday, June 8, 2010 7:47 PM
  • Shyama (or any other MSFT resource), can you please come back to me on the details of the supplied error codes?  They dont exist in the documented codes on TechNet.
    Wednesday, June 9, 2010 10:41 AM
  • Since you are using Hardware VSS provider have you checked on the CHAP credentails on VSS client side app? To take a hardware snapshot on the SAN the client is going to need the CHAP credentials to connect.

Wednesday, June 9, 2010 4:29 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.  How do I amend the client with these details?
    Wednesday, June 9, 2010 5:14 PM
  • When you install the VSS hardware provider from Equallogic it installs a client app (Remote setup Wizard - don't recall the exact name) where you can provide the CHAP credentials to create VSS hardware snapsthots.
    • Marked as answer by The Fair Thursday, June 10, 2010 2:38 PM
    Wednesday, June 9, 2010 5:42 PM
  • Have you checked your Equallogic configuration?

Equallogic Group Manager --> Group Configuration --> VDS/VSS

I've configured the VDS/VSS access on my equallogics by iSCSI initiator name of the cluster nodes.

I have installed HIT 3.3.1 on all cluster nodes (3 node cluster) and "child partition snapshot" backup of all VMs works great.

• Marked as answer by The Fair Thursday, June 10, 2010 2:39 PM
    Wednesday, June 9, 2010 6:59 PM
  • Thanks Shyama, this has resolved the issue and all is working.

Thursday, June 10, 2010 2:39 PM
  • Hello,

I am in the process of setting up DPM to protect out cluster with similar setup..we have installed the latest HIT on all the nodes and the DPM server...

My question is do we need to go thru the Remote setup Wizard on all the cluster nodes ? or on the DPM server ?

Thank you

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 5:38 AM