Correct license (key) to purchase to change from 2012 R2 x64 Trial to production? RRS feed

• Question

• I setup a Trial version of Server 2012 R2 x 64 Essentials. The project was placed on hold. The trial expired. The project was restarted and I need to convert the trial license to a production license. I have production 2012 R2 keys, however none will activate this install.  What is the correct P/N or reference to purchase the key to convert the system from trail to production?

Mike

Thursday, May 28, 2015 8:32 PM

All replies

• Hi Mike,

>>What is the correct P/N or reference to purchase the key to convert the system from trail to production?

Based on the description, we can try to activate it via following Product Activation Wizard or calling a Microsoft Product Activation Center.

Regarding how to activating a Windows Product, the following articles can be referred to as reference.

Get Help Activating Microsoft Windows

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/950929

Activation and registration information of a Microsoft product

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/326851

Best regards,
    Frank Shen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Frank Shen5 Tuesday, June 9, 2015 7:10 AM
    Tuesday, June 2, 2015 8:13 AM
  • I appreciate your direction, however when I contact the referenced articles, then follow up thru the channels, I am on a hunt that ended up chasing a solution that did not work.  The details are lengthy. And only after two days did I get a key that worked.

Somehow I would suggest Microsoft find a creative way to simplify the licensing process. It has gotten far too complicated with versioning, what will work under VM, what won't, the definition of CPU, etc, etc, etc. The combinations and permutations must run into the thousands. I cannot afford a full-time licensing service and to purchase a license a dozen times a year is overly time-consuming and hardly productive.

Frustrating.

Tuesday, June 9, 2015 1:33 PM