none
Where is the default internet explorer settings stored? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone

I am having trouble locating where the default settings for internet explorer 11 is stored.

By that I mean when you go to press the reset button in the advanced tab - where is it pulling the default settings from?

IE keeps enabling "Display intranet sites in compatibility View" when I press reset button.

Thanks

Ben

Tuesday, June 20, 2017 8:20 AM

All replies

• Re: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie11-windows_7/where-is-the-default-internet-explorer-settings/9ca33352-089d-4a99-82f7-a74a648672f0?tab=question&status=AllReplies

User Profile settings are managed by either Active Directory or GPO settings.... on domain joined networks... Your company system administrators will need to turn off that setting in all profiles they manage, however......

If you are deploying Enterprise Site mode lists for your company, the compatibility view mode set in the Enterprise Site List over-rides the "Display intranet sites in Compatibility View"...

You can confirm that a domain is mapped to the Intranet zone from the File>Properties menu in IE. By default localhost is mapped to the internet zone... For testing/development on localhost of intranet domains, you need to manually add localhost to your IE Intranet Sites list (Advanced button on the Intranet Zone Security settings dialog).

You can confirm that intranet sites are using the correct compatibility mode (aka Emulation Mode) by displaying the Emulation tab of the IE dev tool (f12).

see also https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/ie11-faq/faq-for-it-pros-ie11

Regards.

Rob^_^

Tuesday, June 20, 2017 10:45 PM
  • Hi, 

GP could control the default settings on your Client PC. 

In addition, if there is any Enterprise mode configured in your environment, if so, that could be as expected. 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 26, 2017 9:19 AM
  • Hi

Thanks for the answers as I am still getting my head to understand GPOs. I will explain what is happening and hopefully someone can clarify if the GPO is coming from the server that has been set by the admin.

First time user logs in.

The Display Intranet sites in compatibility view and the Use Microsoft Compatibility lists are enabled in the compatibility view settings.

When i disable both and run a gpupdate /force nothing the settings are not put back.

When i reset IE 11 settings the Display Intranet sites in compatibility view is enabled.

Going by the answer from Rob it should be a setting in the GPO but would that be the inetres.admx file?

Thanks

Ben

Tuesday, June 27, 2017 9:10 AM