none
DPM synchronisation RRS feed

• Question

• I am using DPM 2010. i am using disk backup. I manuallyu create a synchronisation at 2pm and recovery point at 3pm . when I try to recover , i find out that the recovery only show 2pm which is the synchronisation but not the 3pm recovwery point. is this normal. pls advise.
    Monday, December 19, 2011 7:47 AM

All replies

• Hi,

no this is not usual. You should see the 3pm recovery point as well. Have you looked into the monitoring tap to see if there are any errors? Maybe the synchronisation takes more then one hour? If that is the case mayb the full backup never starts because the synchronisation job is still running?

So there is definitely something wrong there and you should check for errors in the monitoring tap and maybe also have a look in the event viewer under the dpm section and application logs

Monday, December 19, 2011 10:17 AM
  • Hi,

I think there is a misunderstanding - you never see synch points in recovery wizard when there is no recovery point immediately following.
    So when you mean that you can only recover data from 2:00pm then this a normal behavior - at 03:00pm DPM just creates a recovery point from the last synchronisation + replica (when you you did not specify that a synch job should run right before the RP creation)

regards

/bkpfast

Monday, December 19, 2011 2:23 PM
  • Which data source are you referering to (Exchange, SQL, Volume, etc)?

Thanks, Wilson Souza - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 6:02 AM
  • Hi bkpfast,

this is not quite correct. I think that's why Wilson asked which data source. For example in my environment I have synchronisation every 1 hour and recovery point 1x a day for our sql/exchange. When I go to recovery tap I see all those synchronisation points in addition to the full backup and I am able to choose any of those sync backup to recover from them.

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 8:54 AM
  • Hi sroe,

ok, yes one has to distinguish....
    I was talking about file backups but of course you are right regarding application backups which are treated differently.
    Looking at file backups DPM behaves the way I described.

regards

/bpfast

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 9:55 AM
  • Did the thread answered your question?
    Thanks, Wilson Souza - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 12:07 AM
  • Hi,

when I create a new protection group to backup one server, retention range is 30 days. its total disk space is 94GB. but the disk allocation screen shows that the disk space allocated in DPM is 117.32, pls advise why the disk space used is higher than the original.

pls advise.

Thursday, January 5, 2012 9:34 AM
  • DPM will allocation works this way: Replica volume + Recovery Point volume = Disk Space allocated in DPM.

Thursday, January 5, 2012 9:42 AM
  • what is replica volume and recovery point volume, how much will be those disk space
    Friday, January 6, 2012 12:56 AM
  • replica is the volume DPM creates which will 'mirror' the data source from the protected server.

The recovery point volume is where DPM store the Point in Time (snapshots) backups from the Replica Volume

Friday, January 6, 2012 1:03 AM