none
My Resources and My Direct Reports not working correctly RRS feed

• Question

• I am using PS2010.  Our consultant setup the RBS structure based on our design.  I have set an RBS value for every resource.  Their managers are at the appropriate nodes in the RBS.   I have a test account that is setup in the RBS at a node that has resources on branches below it.  Those resources have assignments in several projects and those projects have been published.  I have tried every possible combination of options in categories and no matter what I do, when I am logged in with the test account, the test account cannot see the projects it should see.  If I assign the test account to the Administrators group, the account can see everything.  Ditto for Executives group.  If I assign the test account to a task on a project and put the account in the Team Members group, the account can see the project it has an assignment on.   It is starting to seem like the RBS is not making the difference it is supposed to with project visibility.  Could it be setup wrong somehow? Is it supposed to be published or something?  What could I be missing?  I'v read the sections in Chefetz, Howard and Zink's book (great books), but can't find anything wrong.  Help would be greatly appreciated.  We have to get this working ASAP. 
    Walter
    Wednesday, March 2, 2011 8:54 PM

Answers

• Hi Walter,

I am awful sorry, that I didn't explain that explicitly. That was what I meant with "With the relationship Resource Manager - My Projects and activated default setting 'View Project Summary in Project Center'". I have to apologize!

Good luck in future!
    Barbara

• Marked as answer by wacNTN Friday, March 18, 2011 2:41 PM
    Monday, March 7, 2011 1:10 PM

All replies

• Hi Walter,

I doubt that I can explain it better than Gary, Dale, and Tony did in their book, but I give it a try. What you described works as defined. RBS is not relevant for all groups. Being an Administrator or Executive, RBS is not that relevant, beeing responsible for the whol organization. Being a team member, it is similar. No-one reports to you, so RBS is not needed. The group impacted by RBS in the strongest way, is Resource Managers, what you have not described. How RBS is used, is defined in categories.

• Administrators and Executives are using My Organizations as default. My Organization defines permissions for all projects and resources with default settings (All current and future resources/projects in Project Server database). Group-Category relation for Administrators/Executives - My Organisation allow "View Project Summary in Project Center", so members of these groups are allowed to see all projects in Project Center- as you saw.
    • Team Members group has only My Tasks category linked. Within this category, "The User is on that project's Project Team" is selected only as default. So no impact of RBS at all. The relationship Team Members - My Tasks allows to "View Project Schedule in Project Web App". So team members will be only allowed to see project's they are member of - as you saw.
    • If you add your test user to Resource Managers  group only, you should see what you expect. Resource Managers group is using e.g. My Projects category. This category does include "A resource on the project's Project Team is a descendant of the User via RBS" for definition. With the relationship Resource Manager - My Projects and activated default setting "View Project Summary in Project Center" are allowed to see all projects, their RBS descendants are member of. Have you tried this?

Regards
    Barbara

Thursday, March 3, 2011 10:38 AM
  • Thanks, Barbara.  I have tried what you describe.  I have a pretty good understanding of how this works.  It works basically just like PS2003 did.  It just isn't working on our system so I'm beginning to think something could be wrong with the RBS setup. 

I have gone so far as to setup a custom group-category definition and make a specific set of projects available to the group without involving the RBS and the user can't see those projects.  I'm concerned I may have some permission associated with the group-category definition wrong.  None are denied. 

Today, I may try to just copy the administrators permissions to the new group-category definition.  If the test user can see the right projects then, I'll just back off permissions I do not want them to have.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks,

Walter

Walter
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 1:57 PM
  • Hi Walter,

hm, sorry. Quite difficult without having a look at the system, if a lot was changed. Have you thought about re-applying default settings as a new starting point?

Regards
    Barbara

Thursday, March 3, 2011 2:36 PM
  • Our consultant came back ( he had been out sick several weeks) and figured it out.  I did not realize that on the Add or Edit Category screen, that for each Group you put in the category, when you click on the name of the group a new permissions grid opens up and you have to set permissions there.  He explained this.  We found that the permission to view projects in project center was not being allowed so no projects were showing up.  Once they were allowed, it all works as expected.  Nice job Microsoft did hiding that little detail.

Thanks for sticking with me on this issue!

Walter

Walter
    Monday, March 7, 2011 12:28 PM
  • Hi Walter,

I am awful sorry, that I didn't explain that explicitly. That was what I meant with "With the relationship Resource Manager - My Projects and activated default setting 'View Project Summary in Project Center'". I have to apologize!

Good luck in future!
    Barbara

• Marked as answer by wacNTN Friday, March 18, 2011 2:41 PM
    Monday, March 7, 2011 1:10 PM