Newly installed clients disappear from collections RRS feed

• Question

• I have a relatively new SCCM 2012 environment. I have set up discovery and CM has discovered all my computers, but I have installed the agent on very few so far. I have some general collections set up, based on AD OU or network vlan. Then these collections are members of software collections to which applications are deployed.

Now take a computer that doesn't have the CM client installed yet. I look at the Deployments tab and it is a member of a dozen or so collections, and looks perfect. Next I push the client out to it. After it's done, the Deployments tab is empty, and the computer isn't a member of any collections.

This wouldn't be so awful if the collections updated in a timely manner. But days have gone by now and still the clients are not members of all appropriate collections. I can of course force a refresh on all our collections, but that seems a bit rediculous.

I thought that I could get around the issue (at least for computers I didn't mind re-imaging) by this method: 1) delete the client from CM 2) import the computer with its MAC, 3) image it. I thought the incremental updates would see the new computer and add it. Alas, the computer still sits for days as a member of nothing but the OS deployment collection.

Any ideas what could be wrong? Is something "broken", or should I expect to wait for days for a computer to have its collection membership?

Thanks
    Eric

Eric Hodges

Thursday, May 2, 2013 8:22 PM

Answers

• I still don't know why a discovered computer disappears from all collections upon getting the CM client. However, I have basically worked around the problem by fine tuning my collection update schedules. They were all set to the defaults (a full update once a week) which was far too infrequent, especially for our small environment. Now they update every 30 minutes, so even though the computers "forget" their collection membership, they rebuild pretty quickly.

Eric Hodges

• Marked as answer by Eric Hodges Tuesday, May 7, 2013 7:13 PM
    Tuesday, May 7, 2013 7:13 PM

All replies

• This question cannot be answered without knowing details about the collections (WQL).

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Friday, May 3, 2013 7:10 AM
  • Certainly. Here are a couple of examples.

The "Office Clients" collection is a general collection based on an OU. It is then a member of lots of other collections.

select SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceID,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceType,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Name,SMS_R_SYSTEM.SMSUniqueIdentifier,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceDomainORWorkgroup,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Client from SMS_R_System
    where SMS_R_System.SystemOUName = "mydomain.COM/PRODUCTION/CHI/CLIENT/OFFICE"

One such collection "Office Clients" is a member of is one called "Adobe Reader". The Adobe Reader Application is deployed to this collection. There is no WQL involed here, "Office Clients" is simply a direct inclusion.

There are more software collections involved, of course, but that is really the extent of it.

Eric Hodges

Friday, May 3, 2013 2:41 PM
  • I still don't know why a discovered computer disappears from all collections upon getting the CM client. However, I have basically worked around the problem by fine tuning my collection update schedules. They were all set to the defaults (a full update once a week) which was far too infrequent, especially for our small environment. Now they update every 30 minutes, so even though the computers "forget" their collection membership, they rebuild pretty quickly.

Eric Hodges

• Marked as answer by Eric Hodges Tuesday, May 7, 2013 7:13 PM
    Tuesday, May 7, 2013 7:13 PM
  • Computers never know their collection memberships; it's not in any way a property of resources or computers. Collection memberships are determined dynamically at the time the collection's membership rules are evaluated.

This sounds like it may be a sequencing type issue with what the collections are limited to. Try changing them to be limited to the all systems collection.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

Thursday, May 9, 2013 11:01 PM