How to remove Vista when installed on a seperate partition? RRS feed

• Question

• I installed the beta of Vista on a seperate harddrive and can't remove it.  I've booted into XP and tried to just delete it, but I get file permission errors.  How do I get rid of Vista?  
    Sunday, November 12, 2006 8:23 PM

Answers

• From XP, simply perform a format for partition contains Vista. It won't work if you installed Vista on C: and XP was on D: as booting files of XP are on C: (Primary Master partition).

Good luck

Wednesday, November 29, 2006 7:53 PM
  • From Windows XP:
    Right click on My Computer icon > Properties >  Advanced > Startup and Recovery > System Startup > Uncheck: Time to display list of Operating Systems and Click Ok.

Good luck
    Friday, December 15, 2006 9:43 PM

All replies

• I had the same problem, i searched the site and found this... the link takes you to an explanation from Microsoft, about half the way down the page... hope it helps :)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919529/ 

Tuesday, November 28, 2006 11:46 PM
  • From XP, simply perform a format for partition contains Vista. It won't work if you installed Vista on C: and XP was on D: as booting files of XP are on C: (Primary Master partition).

Good luck

Wednesday, November 29, 2006 7:53 PM
  •  ahmhdy wrote:

From XP, simply perform a format for partition contains Vista. It won't work if you installed Vista on C: and XP was on D: as booting files of XP are on C: (Primary Master partition).

Good luck

Hi buddy i also hav the same problem & i followed ur way to format partition in which vista was installed but even after format when did i boot my pc it ask to select the operating system & there r again 2 OS's 1 is WinXP and other is Vista.How do i remove this startup screen.Please help me

Thursday, December 14, 2006 6:02 PM
  • From Windows XP:
    Right click on My Computer icon > Properties >  Advanced > Startup and Recovery > System Startup > Uncheck: Time to display list of Operating Systems and Click Ok.

Good luck
    Friday, December 15, 2006 9:43 PM
  • Make sure you take a backup of all files you need on this partition.
    Run diskmgmt.msc(Start --> Run)
    or right click on "My Computer" and choose "Manage", then Go to Disk Management

Right click on this disk partition you want to erase and choose "Delete Logical Drive..."
    Confirm the deletion by clicking "Yes" in the alert that pops-up.

Once the deletion is done, this partition will be labeled as "unallocated"

Noe right click and format it to your choice of Filesystem (NTFS or FAT32)

Thats it!!

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 3:42 PM
  • www.partitionwizard.com
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 8:01 AM