deleted cas array name still being resolved RRS feed

• Question

• Initially, I created a cas array.  We had problems getting that to work from the outside, so, I deleted the array, removed the cas service from the servers and re-installed it on one server.  Many of our clients still resolve the array name as our CAS server instead of the CAS server name.  I have placed and entry in internal DNS pointing the array name to the CAS server to work around the problem, however, this is still causing some issues.

Where is AD getting the array name?

joerabbi
    Thursday, December 8, 2011 5:50 PM

Answers

• Check the RpcClientAccessServer property on your mailbox databases and make sure its not set to the old array name:

Get-MailboxDatabase | fl *rpc*

If so, use Set-MailboxDatabase to change it to the correct cas server or array name.

Mike Pfeiffer | blog: mikepfeiffer.net | twitter: @mike_pfeiffer
    • Marked as answer by emma.yoyo Thursday, December 15, 2011 2:07 AM
    Saturday, December 10, 2011 7:10 PM

All replies

• Where are you seeing this resolution happening?  Normally, name resolution refers to the process of mapping a server name to an IP address, but you say that something is resolving to the CAS array name.  Are you talking about when Outlook tries to work out which server to access for a user's account?
    Outlook Web Access For PDA , OWA For WAP
    www.owa-pda.com
    email a@t leederbyshire d.0.t c.0.m
    Friday, December 9, 2011 1:51 PM
  • Yes, in Outlook when you resolve the server name and the username, it is resolving the old CAS array name instead of the current CAS server.  It is only a subset of our users having this problem.
    joerabbi
    Friday, December 9, 2011 5:12 PM
  • Which version of Exchange and Outlook are you using?

I assume you've tried deleting the outlook profile on one of the affected machines (for a test) and started afresh?  And that's when you see this happening?

www.owa-pda.com
    Saturday, December 10, 2011 12:48 PM
  • Check the RpcClientAccessServer property on your mailbox databases and make sure its not set to the old array name:

Get-MailboxDatabase | fl *rpc*

If so, use Set-MailboxDatabase to change it to the correct cas server or array name.

Mike Pfeiffer | blog: mikepfeiffer.net | twitter: @mike_pfeiffer
    • Marked as answer by emma.yoyo Thursday, December 15, 2011 2:07 AM
    Saturday, December 10, 2011 7:10 PM
  • Hi joerabbi,

Any updates?

Frank Wang

TechNet Community Support

Monday, December 12, 2011 8:52 AM
  • This is Exchange 2010.  We just migrated from Exchange 2007.  It appears that the client is Outlook 2010.  I run get-mailboxdatabase |fl *rpc* and get 9 responses, 7 of which are blank and 2 of which are the correct cas server name.

We have tried creating a new profile for the person, no joy.  I was working on one person's computer and logged in as myself and created a profile and it was correct.

joerabbi
    Monday, December 12, 2011 2:55 PM
  • What do you get if you run Get-ClientAccessServer

www.owa-pda.com
    Monday, December 12, 2011 4:07 PM
  • I get the correct server (client access).  I have had to add a DNS entry pointing the deleted CAS array name to the client access server for many of our clients to work.
    joerabbi
    Monday, December 12, 2011 4:17 PM
  • I can see why you did that, but I think it would be easier to find the cause of the problem if you got rid of it.  I would prefer to use HOSTS file entries on individual machines until the problem is fixed.  Unless you have so many users that it would be too difficult to manage?
    www.owa-pda.com
    • Marked as answer by joerabbi Tuesday, December 13, 2011 5:58 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by joerabbi Tuesday, December 13, 2011 6:29 PM
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 3:08 PM
  • Did you get to the bottom of it?
    Mobile OWA For Smartphone
    www.leederbyshire.com
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 6:26 PM
  • Yes, Most of my mailbox databases did not have the rpcclientaccessserver defined, it was blank.  Once I did that, it fixed the issue.

I ran set-mailboxdatabase "<mailbox database>" -rpcClientAccessServer <client access server name>.

joerabbi
    • Edited by joerabbi Tuesday, December 13, 2011 6:31 PM
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 6:29 PM