How can I find out where in a site or collection is a deployed solution being used? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am in the process of reviewing our sharepoint 2007 farm and trying to cleanup deployed solutions that might not longer be in use.  When I look at central administration under solution management, I can see all the deployed solutions but many say globally deployed.  How can I find out where in the site or collection is it being used, so that I can retract and delete the solution if not in use?

Thanks

Carlos

Thursday, March 22, 2012 3:28 PM

All replies

• Hi Carlos,
    use stsadm -o enumsolutions command which gives you a list of all solutions deployed in the farm.
    To generate a text fille use command 
    stsadm -o enumsolutions > c:\solutionslist.txt
    this will create a text file in C drive

Warm Regards, Pratik Vyas | SharePoint Consultant | http://sharepointpratik.blogspot.com/ | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Thursday, March 22, 2012 11:32 PM
  • Hi,

If you have .wsp files available with you then change their extensions to .cab.

After that extract the files and you will be able to find out the files going to be deployed by the solution.

analyzing them will give you an idea.

I hope this will help you out

Thanks, Rahul Rashu

Saturday, March 24, 2012 10:08 AM
  • Hi Pratik,

stsadmn -o enumsolutions does not tell me if the solution is actually being used somewhere on the site or collection.  I am trying to find out as I am looking to migrate to sharepoint 2010.  So if a solution is deployed in the collection but not in use on a site that I would like to migrate then I can just go ahead.  That's what I am trying to find out.  I could just remove the solution but I want to know where it's in use to follow up with the users before moving the site.

Rashu, again that doesn't tell me where the solution is being used.

Thanks

Carlos

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 2:37 PM