none
This domain controller must register its correct IP addresses with the DNS server

Question

• Hello 

I have just ran a Best Practice Analyzer on my Windows Server 2008 R2 Domain Controller, and I'm getting this message 

I have read both links in the BPA, and also Technet ariticle but I still can't get my head around this. 

https://technet.microsoft.com/en- us/library/dd378858(v=ws.10).aspx
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=131229

Any ideas please?

Many Thanks.

Regards,
    John

Title:
    This domain controller must register its correct IP addresses with the DNS server

Severity:
    Error

Date:
    3/16/2017 2:32:32 PM

Category:
    Configuration

Issue:
    The Domain Name System (DNS) host resource records for this domain controller's fully qualified domain name currently map to the IP addresses that do not belong to this domain controller. The invalid IP addresses are 101.98.45.29; 101.98.1.35; 101.98.1.45; 101.98.8.3; 101.98.60.73.

Impact:
    Other member computers and domain controllers in the domain or forest might not be able to locate this domain controller. This domain controller will not be able to provide a full suite of services.

Resolution:
    Ensure that the DNS Client service on this domain controller is configured and able to register valid host resource records with an authoritative DNS server for the domain.

More information about this best practice and detailed resolution procedures: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=131229

Thursday, March 16, 2017 2:21 AM

All replies

• If it is a single DC then the server should not be multi-homed and should have server's own address and 127.0.0.1 for DNS on connection properties and no others such as router or public DNS addresses.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Thursday, March 16, 2017 2:33 AM
  • Hey Dave

Its not a single DC but one of five DC's that we have 

Is the error implying the IP addresses in questions should be removed, or the lack of thereof? 

Thanks for your response. 

Thursday, March 16, 2017 2:40 AM
  • Probably removed but I don't know the topology or addressing. Since multiple DCs I put server's own address and another DCs address on connection properties. You may have better luck with dcdiag rather than bpa

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Thursday, March 16, 2017 2:45 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 24, 2017 8:56 AM