Autonomous downstream Server RRS feed

• Question

• We have setup a WSUS server in our network to make it a Upstream server for couple of WSUS servers in our firewalled network

I am not sure how this works but we oped Firewall port 8530 between the downstream and the upstream server

We then configured the Option "Update Source and Proxy" on the downstream server 

Now i can see the downstream server in the Downstream Servers node of the upstream server and synchronizations are successful on the downstream server

However i am not sure how the actual files are downloaded:

Q:When a user approves of the updates in downstream server , how do the actual file get downloaded . The downstream server doesnt have Internet connection

Q:teh downstream server earlier was sync with a different upstream server and shows around 30K updates but the new WSUS upstream only has 6K . I was thinking the new settings would override

Sunday, August 14, 2016 12:58 PM

Answers

• Hi Kitaab,

In WSUS "option">"Update files and Languages", we may see two options: "Store update files locally on this server" and "Do not store update files locally; computers install form Microsoft update".

1. If we choose "Store update files locally on this server" and choose "Download update files to this server only when updates are approved". Then when we sync updates from upstream server, it only download metadata, when we approve that update, the downstream server will download the related update files in content;

If you choose "Store locally" and "Download files from Microsoft update; do not download from upstream server", then the downstream server will download update files from MU via Internet;

2. If upstream WSUS server do not have related updates files required by downstream server, the upstream server will be forced to download from Microsoft Update, then the downstream server download from upstream server.

Then let's answer your questions:

>Q:When a user approves of the updates in downstream server , how do the actual file get downloaded . The downstream server doesnt have Internet connection

You need to check the options chosen in "Update files and languages". Generally, when sync, it download metadata, when approve, it download content files from upstream server.

>Q:teh downstream server earlier was sync with a different upstream server and shows around 30K updates but the new WSUS upstream only has 6K . I was thinking the new settings would override

The later sync will detect new added updates, updates has already be synced will not be downloaded again.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 15, 2016 6:15 AM