Dynamic Group RCDC RRS feed

• General discussion

• I need to add dynamic controls to modify the Group RCDC (for example, one field should show up when it is Security Group, but it should disappear when it is Distribution Group).

Also when it is Security Group, there are fields that should appear/disappear when user choose Email Enabled checkbox, just like Email Alias field.

However, upon looking at RCDC, I don’t know if both of these is possible.

One limitation is that I have to depend on a non-boolean attribute to determine whether the user is trying to create Security Group or Distribution Group (%Attribute_Type%), and the

property my:Visible only works on boolean value.

The second limitation is that Email Enabled is not a property that get saved on the object, and it is triggering OnChangeEmailEnabling (I would assume it’s some kind of javascript) which is not exposed.

This event will show the Email Alias field.

Could anyone give me some suggestion on how to address or workaround to this limitation?

Friday, October 14, 2011 2:38 PM

All replies

• Hi There,

The event is localized to the underlying page that is being used for the group or user objects. In the case of custom objects those events are not necessarily present.

I have found however, that if you use boolean attributes on the RCDC like the mail enabled checkbox and have AutoPostBack="True" then you can use the value in another control to identify whether it is visible or read only, etc.

I have put more details on my blog (http://identityminded.wordpress.com)

Hope this is helpful.

B

Edited to add direct link: http://identityminded.wordpress.com/2011/10/14/fim2010-semi-dynamic-rcdc-operations/

http://identityminded.wordpress.com
    Friday, October 14, 2011 3:25 PM
  • Blain, thanks for the quick answer, will certainly look into it.

Thanks in advance for the help, folks.

If anyone has any other suggestion that I should try, please post here.

Friday, October 14, 2011 3:37 PM
  • Hi There,

Added information, for the RCDC controls. Quite often I will use a set of two transition in MPRs to trigger flag values back and forth.

The issue you're talking to with regards to the appearance on the distribution list versus the security group is built into the underlying page that Microsoft has provided and appears to be selected within the code underneath which is rendering the RCDC.

So for the edit RCDC, the methods I'm talking to are possible by using a flag that is set once the group is committed. The autopostback doesn't trigger any action workflows or anything that would set that flag to true or false for you.

So if a security group is created, it is identified and captured by one of the transition MPRs as the "isSecurityGroup" boolean is set to true and the next time the group RCDC is opened, that will be visible and if the group is changed to a distribution list, the flag is removed.

I recently ran into an issue where the default group page didn't do what I needed either plus in many cases, if I removed certain unnecessary fields I would get an error that a control was missing that was referenced in the code for the group page.

I created a new object to manage my groups but ran into a problem where the ReferenceDeltaDataSource doesn't work on custom objects. This makes for the management of the multi-valued reference attributes such as member a manual process where I had a similar interface add and remove controls but these are two different attributes which are then merged by action workflows once commited so that the single unified member attribute is populated. (Although in my initial tests, it appeared to but didn't work which was so very disappointed as the changes showed up in the summary page but not the actual object as the customobject page doesn't know how to handle the ReferenceDeltaDataSource.)

Good luck.

B

http://identityminded.wordpress.com
    Friday, October 14, 2011 4:08 PM