Exchange 2000 to 2003 migration SMTP routing RRS feed

• Question

• Setup:

GFI (Default SMTP Virtual Server with smart host configured as Exchange 2000)
    Exchange 2000 (Default SMTP Virtual Server with smart host configured as GFI server)
    Exchange 2003 (no smart hosts configured yet)

I'm in the middle of an Exchange 2000 to 2003 migration.  I have an obvious SMTP routing issue where Exchange 2000 mailboxes cannot talk to Exchange 2003.  But mailboxes on Exchange 2003 can talk to Exchange 2000.

And I now know that configuring a Smart Host on the Default SMTP Virtual Server in Exchange 2000 is not correct, and that it should be configured by creating an SMTP connector and adding the smart host there.

Question now is:  When I create the SMTP connector with the GFI smart host do I add both Exchange 2000 and 2003 as the bridgeheads or just one of the servers?

Tuesday, November 3, 2009 9:39 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Well, you have two Exchange server (2000&2003) and a GFI as a smart host?

Do the two exchange servers in the same Routing Group?

If yes, when you create a SMTP connect on Exchange server 2003 to connect to GFI, you can add the exchange 2003 as the bridgehead server. The other exchange server in the same routing group will send messages through bridgehead.

But you said the Exchange 2000 cannot talk to exchange 2003, you maybe have to add both two server as bridgehead.

After migration, you can delete the server and cancel it as bridgehead.

Frank Wang
    • Marked as answer by jtlg Wednesday, November 4, 2009 4:02 PM
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 9:46 AM

All replies

• You'll add the server that sends outbound mail in that routing group. The other server will send its messages through the server that's been added.

• Proposed as answer by Luke Edson Tuesday, November 3, 2009 11:22 PM
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 11:21 PM
  • Hi,

Well, you have two Exchange server (2000&2003) and a GFI as a smart host?

Do the two exchange servers in the same Routing Group?

If yes, when you create a SMTP connect on Exchange server 2003 to connect to GFI, you can add the exchange 2003 as the bridgehead server. The other exchange server in the same routing group will send messages through bridgehead.

But you said the Exchange 2000 cannot talk to exchange 2003, you maybe have to add both two server as bridgehead.

After migration, you can delete the server and cancel it as bridgehead.

Frank Wang
    • Marked as answer by jtlg Wednesday, November 4, 2009 4:02 PM
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 9:46 AM
  • Frank,

Yes, both Exchange servers are in the same routing group.  I created an SMTP connector, added GFI as the smart host, added both Exchange 2000 and 2003 as a bridgehad and now I can send mail between 2000/2003/Internet.

Apparently before I got here someone incorrectly added the GFI smart host under the Default SMTP Virtual Server but it was working.  I also contacted GFI and their documentation states to create an SMTP connector too.

Well, mail routing is correctly configured....thanks Luke and Frank.

Wednesday, November 4, 2009 3:55 PM