Need Details about a specific security feature in Windows Phone RRS feed

• Question

• Hello fellow Developers and Peers,

I am fairly new into Windows universal App development!

What I want to know is that : Suppose in my Nokia Lumia 730 somebody has entered a wrong pass code 5 times.

I need to know whether there is any event handler associated with a "Wrong pass code Entry" in Windows Phone.

In PC it was simple. I used to check the security logs for a specific event ID. (specifically Event ID 4625)

Is there any security features for Windows Phone that allows me to do the same? Please be as detailed as possible with solutions please..

Saturday, December 12, 2015 2:16 PM

Answers

• Hi KevyBags

As Ken stated there is no way to detect a lock out from a Universal Windows Application. The UWP application is fairly abstracted away from the operating system and you have access to API's that have been approved. There is a detailed article on the lock screen behaviour that can be found here - http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/how-to/wp8/settings-and-personalization/lock-screen-faq

So unfortunately there is no way to capture the Lock out event from the OS.

Also keep in mind that UWP applications are designed to be device agnostic and run across Phone, Tablet, Desktop and pretty much anything else running Windows 10 OS. When building these applications keep in mind that not all features will be supported on every device. There is a mechanism to detect if a feature is supported:

// Note: Cache the value instead of querying it more than once.
        bool isHardwareButtonsAPIPresent =
            Windows.Foundation.Metadata.ApiInformation.IsTypePresent("Windows.Phone.UI.Input.HardwareButtons");

if (isHardwareButtonsAPIPresent)
        {
            Windows.Phone.UI.Input.HardwareButtons.CameraPressed +=
                HardwareButtons_CameraPressed;
        }

You can find more details on how to do this here:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/dn894631.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396#writing_code

I hope this helped answer your question, please remember to mark as answered if this solves your question.

Monday, December 14, 2015 7:27 AM

All replies

• I do not believe there is any api to tell you the user has failed to type in right pin on lock screen.
    Saturday, December 12, 2015 7:06 PM
  • Hi Ken, Thank you for the info. Can you tell me what exactly happens when a user enters a bad password 5 times and the phone goes in lockout mode? Actually my goal is to detect a user lockout event and run some background tasks ..

Saturday, December 12, 2015 8:25 PM
  • Hi KevyBags

As Ken stated there is no way to detect a lock out from a Universal Windows Application. The UWP application is fairly abstracted away from the operating system and you have access to API's that have been approved. There is a detailed article on the lock screen behaviour that can be found here - http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/how-to/wp8/settings-and-personalization/lock-screen-faq

So unfortunately there is no way to capture the Lock out event from the OS.

Also keep in mind that UWP applications are designed to be device agnostic and run across Phone, Tablet, Desktop and pretty much anything else running Windows 10 OS. When building these applications keep in mind that not all features will be supported on every device. There is a mechanism to detect if a feature is supported:

// Note: Cache the value instead of querying it more than once.
        bool isHardwareButtonsAPIPresent =
            Windows.Foundation.Metadata.ApiInformation.IsTypePresent("Windows.Phone.UI.Input.HardwareButtons");

if (isHardwareButtonsAPIPresent)
        {
            Windows.Phone.UI.Input.HardwareButtons.CameraPressed +=
                HardwareButtons_CameraPressed;
        }

You can find more details on how to do this here:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/dn894631.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396#writing_code

I hope this helped answer your question, please remember to mark as answered if this solves your question.

Monday, December 14, 2015 7:27 AM
  • Hi Dave,

Thank you for the detailed answer.

I have another question and its off related to this topic but I think it may serve my purpose.

I need to know how my app can connect to Microsoft account and read security events from there.

Can you give me some documentation on Live sdk???

Thanks and Cheers..:)

Monday, December 14, 2015 1:35 PM