none
Task Scheduling conflits RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All,

In project 2010, I have assigned a standard calendar to a project. However for a specific task, I have assigned a '24 hour' calendar. but even then when i am assigning the duration as 1 day and assigning a resource by checking the box ' Ignore resource calendar', the project is assigning only 8 hours of work. Should it not reflect 24 hours work because i have assigned 24 hours calendar to that task.

Kindly suggest.

Thank you,

Gaurav

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 6:43 AM

Answers

• Hi Gaurav,

Assign the task duration as 1edays, this will be 24hrs allocation and won't need you to set task calendar too. The 24hrs task calendar and resource assignment would involve several other factors also which need to be understood and planned accordingly to get the desired result. In that your task type will also come into picture. So, I m not sure if you have taken care of all parameters or not. For now just add edays that would solve your issue.

Sapna Shukla

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 8:12 AM

All replies

• Your duration of 1 day is interpreted by MSP as a number of hours according to the definition of "day" which you will find at file, options, schedule. This is really just a conversion factor. It is necessary because "day", "week", "month" etc are all ambiguous compared to hours and minutes. Try putting in your duration as "23h" which should give you what you want.
    Wednesday, May 29, 2013 7:11 AM
  • Dear Trevor,

Thanks for the reply. Could you please elaborate. can't I put 24 hours in 'work' column and would get 1 day as duration, since i have assigned '24 hours' calendar to that particular task.

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 7:29 AM
  • Hi Gaurav,

Assign the task duration as 1edays, this will be 24hrs allocation and won't need you to set task calendar too. The 24hrs task calendar and resource assignment would involve several other factors also which need to be understood and planned accordingly to get the desired result. In that your task type will also come into picture. So, I m not sure if you have taken care of all parameters or not. For now just add edays that would solve your issue.

Sapna Shukla

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 8:12 AM
  • Hi,

Yes, you can put 24 h as work or as duration - the only problem is the ambiguity of the "day".

Greetings,

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 8:31 AM
  • Thanks for the solution. could you kindly suggest which all factors needs to be considered. This would help in understanding the use of Task Calendar.

Thanks

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 8:36 AM
  • You will have to decide on Task Type - fixed work or duration; to get the expected duration/work based on task type selected; because if there is a task of 1d even when you assign a resource with ignore resource calendar work would popluate as 8 hrs. based on the default working hours set in project calendar and need to be updated manually. Assigning 24hrs Calendar means - the task would continue to work throughout a day, but just assigning calendar doesn't make work on the task as of 24hrs, this has to be done by PM.

Sapna Shukla

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 9:24 AM