I am Using HDMI and there is No Signal Please help me RRS feed

• Question

• Why is the HDMI not getting a signal on my TV from my Studio Hybrid Desktop computer? I have hooked the HDMI cable and nothing happens! Is there something I need to do? Where is the installing for HDMI in windows vista home premium? Thank you!
    Saturday, October 10, 2009 7:27 PM

Answers

• Hi.
    I'd suggest connecting a standard VGA display to the computer (temporarily) for troubleshooting.
    Start the computer, and open Display Properties - does Windows indicate that something is connected to the HDMI port?  Is it even enabled?
    If Display Properties indicates that the TV is, in fact, connected (and, that the connection is enabled), tick 'extend my desktop onto this display' > Apply. 
    You should now get a picture on the TV, likely at a low resolution.  Set the display resolution to what the TV will accept.
    After you've got a picture, and the display resolution is correct, tick 'make this my primary display' > Apply.  At this point, the taskbar will move over to the TV.  Move any open windows that you have to the TV (since it's now the primary display), and turn off and disconnect the VGA display.

I've had to do this recently - system I built for someone, that, for whatever reason (maybe Windows, maybe ATI's display drivers) insisted on running VGA & DVI as the primaries, and had to be 'told' to use the HDMI output as the primary.  Works now, after the above steps.

HTH,
    Chris
    [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    • Marked as answer by Angelsims3 Monday, October 6, 2014 2:53 AM
    Sunday, October 11, 2009 3:53 AM
  • Hi, ty, so is HDMI not as good as using the vga? so if the vga is much better then I will use it when I buy a blueray player someday! lol. where would I find the port in the system devices? what would it be called, I saw nothing saying HDMI there.  someone at walmart showed me there was another thing to click on in the files but I forgotten where. Maybe I need to contact dell again! I try there ty! :) I checked the display settings there are like 2 screens showing, one is default and the one I am using non-generic type as it kind of says. But the HDMI? well I only see the 2 like monitors in the display settings. Maybe I need Dell to help me with it! ty! Well I tried it it did not work still no signal through HDMI, I do have the HDMI connected to TV and computer! also I have been using the vga to TV and it works with using the vga, just not the HDMI  ty!
    Monday, October 12, 2009 5:16 PM
  • Oh, no - HDMI is a far better connection in terms of picture quality.
    (and, Blu-Ray is only playable over a digital connection, once you get to that point.)

Point is this:
    In my experience, Windows tends to need to be 'told' (by you) to use an HDMI-connected TV as the Primary display.  And, the only way to accomplish this is to connect a standard (VGA or DVI) monitor to the PC.
    While you might be able to view the PC on the TV via your VGA connection, doing so will result in:
    1- an inactive HDMI input on the TV (can't make an inactive connection a primary display), and
    2- well, you won't be able to see what you're pushing thru the HDMI line when VGA is selected on the TV.  :P

Best suggestion is to (and, this is only temporarily, for setup) to connect a standard display to the PC, in addition to the TV (HDMI.)
    Got another PC to borrow from?  Friend?  Friendly boss that'll let you borrow a work display for the night?

HTH,
    Chris
    [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Monday, October 12, 2009 9:38 PM
  • oh okay forgot this post till now. Well now I am using a brand new monitor with DVI and just keep getting the black screen when playing my games and then I have to shut computer down manually. I am not using HDMI now due to new monitor a Samsung 24" now it is still going to black screen then monitor light blinks from the games crashing my screen it also happens using my scren saver. I have the latest graphics card drivers I have the GeForce GT 610 and just not sure where the trouble is. Please help Thanks.
    Tuesday, July 22, 2014 2:44 AM

All replies

• Hi.
    I'd suggest connecting a standard VGA display to the computer (temporarily) for troubleshooting.
    Start the computer, and open Display Properties - does Windows indicate that something is connected to the HDMI port?  Is it even enabled?
    If Display Properties indicates that the TV is, in fact, connected (and, that the connection is enabled), tick 'extend my desktop onto this display' > Apply. 
    You should now get a picture on the TV, likely at a low resolution.  Set the display resolution to what the TV will accept.
    After you've got a picture, and the display resolution is correct, tick 'make this my primary display' > Apply.  At this point, the taskbar will move over to the TV.  Move any open windows that you have to the TV (since it's now the primary display), and turn off and disconnect the VGA display.

I've had to do this recently - system I built for someone, that, for whatever reason (maybe Windows, maybe ATI's display drivers) insisted on running VGA & DVI as the primaries, and had to be 'told' to use the HDMI output as the primary.  Works now, after the above steps.

HTH,
    Chris
    Sunday, October 11, 2009 3:53 AM
  • Hi, ty, so is HDMI not as good as using the vga? so if the vga is much better then I will use it when I buy a blueray player someday! lol. where would I find the port in the system devices? what would it be called, I saw nothing saying HDMI there.  someone at walmart showed me there was another thing to click on in the files but I forgotten where. Maybe I need to contact dell again! I try there ty! :) I checked the display settings there are like 2 screens showing, one is default and the one I am using non-generic type as it kind of says. But the HDMI? well I only see the 2 like monitors in the display settings. Maybe I need Dell to help me with it! ty! Well I tried it it did not work still no signal through HDMI, I do have the HDMI connected to TV and computer! also I have been using the vga to TV and it works with using the vga, just not the HDMI  ty!
    Monday, October 12, 2009 5:16 PM
  • Oh, no - HDMI is a far better connection in terms of picture quality.
    (and, Blu-Ray is only playable over a digital connection, once you get to that point.)

Point is this:
    In my experience, Windows tends to need to be 'told' (by you) to use an HDMI-connected TV as the Primary display.  And, the only way to accomplish this is to connect a standard (VGA or DVI) monitor to the PC.
    While you might be able to view the PC on the TV via your VGA connection, doing so will result in:
    1- an inactive HDMI input on the TV (can't make an inactive connection a primary display), and
    2- well, you won't be able to see what you're pushing thru the HDMI line when VGA is selected on the TV.  :P

Best suggestion is to (and, this is only temporarily, for setup) to connect a standard display to the PC, in addition to the TV (HDMI.)
    Got another PC to borrow from?  Friend?  Friendly boss that'll let you borrow a work display for the night?

HTH,
    Chris
    Monday, October 12, 2009 9:38 PM
  • oh okay forgot this post till now. Well now I am using a brand new monitor with DVI and just keep getting the black screen when playing my games and then I have to shut computer down manually. I am not using HDMI now due to new monitor a Samsung 24" now it is still going to black screen then monitor light blinks from the games crashing my screen it also happens using my scren saver. I have the latest graphics card drivers I have the GeForce GT 610 and just not sure where the trouble is. Please help Thanks.
    Tuesday, July 22, 2014 2:44 AM