none
Month on, month off crew rotation scheduling RRS feed

• Question

• Good morning! I am looking to create a crew rotation schedule that is month on, month off, using Project 2013.

The situation is that we have about 30 people for 2 work sites, each with 5 different roles that need to be filled for the next year. 

So, the project lead 1 would work for a period, then a period off, to be replaced by project lead 2, etc. until the end of the project. 

I've included an image to give you an idea of what I'm wanting, each color being a different person for that role (excuse my terrible paint skills)

Is this possible in Project 2013? 

Monday, November 24, 2014 3:46 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I would use a different approach. Create your resources and assign them to your activities. For example, set your activity duration to 4 months and assign project lead 1 and 2.

Then split your screen, display the task usage in the lower panel with a monthly timescale and enter manually the work as per the screenshot below:

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Monday, November 24, 2014 3:56 PM
  • And if you are using Project Professional, you can see a similar view to Guillaume's in the Team Planner.

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | P2O

Monday, November 24, 2014 4:49 PM
  • Create the 30 resources in the resource sheet view and give each one an individual calendar.
    Tuesday, November 25, 2014 2:27 AM
  • Hi,

I would use a different approach. Create your resources and assign them to your activities. For example, set your activity duration to 4 months and assign project lead 1 and 2.

Then split your screen, display the task usage in the lower panel with a monthly timescale and enter manually the work as per the screenshot below:

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Thank you, this is getting me in the right direction. 

However, this process is exposing my inexperience with Project. Here's the problem I'm running into.

Say I create Task A and assign Team Lead 1, 2, and 3 to it, Project will automatically divvy up the task among them (even if I have Auto schedule turned off and auto-calculate off)

When I try to fix it, (like in your example, you have it set for 20d for PL1 and 20d for PL2), if I match that, it will randomly extend the project or move the dates entirely.

I went into options > schedule and set days to have 24 hours, weeks to have 7 days, and months to have 30 days.  Each resource is set to 400% workload with a 24 hour calendar (all of our projects are round the clock, how the work is divvied up is decided by the crews themselves, we only need to manage the high-level "This person goes here for this  amount of time" part of scheduling)

If I'm asking too many questions that are obviously answered somewhere else, could you point me in the direction of the documentation?  I'm finding a lot of tutorials online but few seem overly relevant to my specific application.  Thanks for the help so far, it's been greatly appreciated. 

Tuesday, November 25, 2014 8:28 PM
  • Create the 30 resources in the resource sheet view and give each one an individual calendar.

From the resource sheet view, how do I create an individual calendar?  I can only find the task calendar, I don't see any other calendar options.  Sorry for the stupid questions. 
    Tuesday, November 25, 2014 8:28 PM
  • Hi JTGrindrod

From the Resource Sheet, highlight the resource, click on the Resource Information Dialogue box, click on change working time, and edit the calendar for the resource.  Steps 1-3 in the screen shot.

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | P2O

Tuesday, November 25, 2014 8:43 PM