Windows Explorer Right-Click from Start Button RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to change the path of the Windows Explorer link on the Start Button (ie. when right-clicking on the Start button, you get the option to "Open Windows Explorer"). By default it opens to "Libraries" which has little or no usage to use since all our files are stored on network shares. How can we change it to My Computer or something similar.

I am not looking how to change another Windows Explorer icon and adding that as a shortcut somewhere (quicklaunch, etc.). I have done that already. I am looking how to change the link from the Start Menu specifically.

Thanks!
    Reuv
    Monday, December 21, 2009 9:08 AM

Answers

• Hi Reuv,

It seems there is no direct way to point Windows Explorer to other locations by right clicking on the Start orb. This should be by design. However, you can just change Windows Explorer shortcut's target as BurrWalnut mentioned. After changing the Windows Explorer shortcut's target, please drag the Windows Explorer shortcut to the Taskbar. This can pin this icon to the Taskbar and you can launch it easily.

Thank you very much for your understanding.

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Reuvy Tuesday, December 22, 2009 7:29 AM
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 7:13 AM

All replies

• Click the Windows Orb (Start) > All Programs > Accessories and right-click Windows Explorer > Properties > Shortcut Tab and change the Target box to where you want it to open, e.g. to open the Documents folder, you would type the following %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe C:\Users\your user name\Documents\ (note the space) then Apply, OK, etc.
    Monday, December 21, 2009 9:11 AM
  • That doesn't work. That is not the link that the Start Menu refers to.
    Monday, December 21, 2009 9:29 AM
  • Hi Reuv,

It seems there is no direct way to point Windows Explorer to other locations by right clicking on the Start orb. This should be by design. However, you can just change Windows Explorer shortcut's target as BurrWalnut mentioned. After changing the Windows Explorer shortcut's target, please drag the Windows Explorer shortcut to the Taskbar. This can pin this icon to the Taskbar and you can launch it easily.

Thank you very much for your understanding.

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Reuvy Tuesday, December 22, 2009 7:29 AM
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 7:13 AM