Proclarity Page ID changes on each deployement RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,
      I am having a problem that each time when i update and deployee my proclarity books it say me this this book already exist.thats why i delete and and then redeploye it. but in this case all the page id changed...
    because I am using page viewer web part to show proclarity reports  to sharepoint. I have to change URLs  for all web parts which a very lenghty rework for me.

do any one of know solution regarding this problem.Please help me.

Thanks
    Gaurav 

Friday, January 11, 2008 7:03 AM

Answers

• The only way to successfully re-publish a briefing book to PAS and maintain the same IDs is to modify the book in PAS and not by using a local copy (.BBK file).  To do this, you need to first click on the Analytics Server button on the toolbar of the Professional client and pick the book you wish to modify (make sure you check the box for opening the book for editing).  Make the desired changes to the book and then re-publish.  The page IDs will be preserved.  The problem you are running into is that you are saving a local copy of the briefing book.  This local copy does not retain a pointer to the PAS book ID.  It is completely independent of the book stored in PAS.  Even if the local copy of the book is an exact replica of the one in PAS, there is no way for the publishing add-in to tie it to the book in PAS.  At that point, they are treated as two completely different books, which is why you are getting the error message you are.  I realize this is confusing and ProClarity should have done a better job of thinking through this scenario but it just doesn't work.

Monday, January 14, 2008 12:12 AM

All replies

• Gaurav,

Do you get a message telling you that the item already exists when you attempt to publish your Book to PAS?  If so, it's a known issue and I can post the fix.

Thanks,

-Joey

Friday, January 11, 2008 4:06 PM
  • I think I understand what is happening.  I'm assuming you have a set of briefing books you have created as .BBK files.  You are then publishing those books to PAS.  As needs arise to modify the views, you are making changes in the .BBK files and then re-publishing them to PAS.  Unfortunately, when you publish a book to PAS, PAS does not maintain any sort of connection to the original .BBK files, which is why you are getting the "book already exists" error.  Once a book has been published to PAS, you must open the PAS version of the book, make your changes, and re-publish it in order to maintain the correct IDs.  The .BBK cannot be used to re-publish.

Now if I totally misunderstood the issue and you are in fact opening the PAS versions of the book to make changes but you are still getting the error, then Joey is absolutely correct.  This was a bug that has been fixed.  Contact ProClarity Support to get the fix.

Jason

Friday, January 11, 2008 6:23 PM
  • Hi,

thanks for reply Jason.

Can you please clear what is PAS version of book.

thing is that i deploye book on PAS then save it in my machine.

then for updating i used that saved copy of book. then after modifiying when a publish it. it gives me book already exist error.

Can you please clarify it.

Thanks,

Gaurav 

Saturday, January 12, 2008 7:30 AM
  • The only way to successfully re-publish a briefing book to PAS and maintain the same IDs is to modify the book in PAS and not by using a local copy (.BBK file).  To do this, you need to first click on the Analytics Server button on the toolbar of the Professional client and pick the book you wish to modify (make sure you check the box for opening the book for editing).  Make the desired changes to the book and then re-publish.  The page IDs will be preserved.  The problem you are running into is that you are saving a local copy of the briefing book.  This local copy does not retain a pointer to the PAS book ID.  It is completely independent of the book stored in PAS.  Even if the local copy of the book is an exact replica of the one in PAS, there is no way for the publishing add-in to tie it to the book in PAS.  At that point, they are treated as two completely different books, which is why you are getting the error message you are.  I realize this is confusing and ProClarity should have done a better job of thinking through this scenario but it just doesn't work.

Monday, January 14, 2008 12:12 AM
  • Thanks ..... Smile

Monday, January 14, 2008 5:44 AM