WSS is down after installing hotfix kb2276474 RRS feed

• Question

• Please help
    I have problem after installing the hotfixes for the WSS (wss-kb2276474-fullfile-x64-glb)
    The Config wizard run in infinite loop, [SPManager] [DEBUG] [8/9/2011 11:32:19 AM]: SyncUpgradeTimerJob: sleeping for 10 seconds 
    So I tried psconfig.exe -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -wait -force 
    and I get following error
    [SPSearchDatabaseSequence] [DEBUG] [8/10/2011 10:24:30 AM]: The call to SPSearchServiceInstance.Provision (server 'SHAREPOINT') failed. Setting back to previous status 'Online'. Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPUpdatedConcurrencyException: An update conflict has occurred, and you must re-try this action. The object SPSearchServiceInstance Parent=SPServer Name=SHAREPOINT is being updated by DOMIAN\Administrator, in the OWSTIMER process, on machine SHAREPOINT.  View the tracing log for more information about the conflict.
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPConfigurationDatabase.StoreObject(SPPersistedObject obj, Boolean storeClassIfNecessary, Boolean ensure)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPConfigurationDatabase.PutObject(SPPersistedObject obj, Boolean ensure)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPPersistedObject.Update()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPServiceInstance.Update()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Search.Administration.SPSearchServiceInstance.Update()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Search.Administration.SPSearchServiceInstance.Provision()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.SPSearchDatabaseSequence.EnableAndProvisionSearchNTService()
    [SPManager] [ERROR] [8/10/2011 10:24:30 AM]: Upgrade [SPSearchDatabase Name=WSS_Search_SHAREPOINT Parent=SPDatabaseServiceInstance] failed.
    [SPManager] [ERROR] [8/10/2011 10:24:30 AM]: An update conflict has occurred, and you must re-try this action. The object SPSearchServiceInstance Parent=SPServer Name=SHAREPOINT is being updated by DOMAIN\Administrator, in the OWSTIMER process, on machine SHAREPOINT.  View the tracing log for more information about the conflict.
    [SPManager] [ERROR] [8/10/2011 10:24:30 AM]:    at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPConfigurationDatabase.StoreObject(SPPersistedObject obj, Boolean storeClassIfNecessary, Boolean ensure)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPConfigurationDatabase.PutObject(SPPersistedObject obj, Boolean ensure)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Search.Administration.SPSearchServiceInstance.Provision()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.SPSearchDatabaseSequence.EnableAndProvisionSearchNTService()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.SPSearchDatabaseSequence.PostUpgrade()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.SPManager.Upgrade(Object o, Boolean bRecurse)
    [SPManager] [DEBUG] [8/10/2011 10:24:30 AM]: Elapsed time upgrading [SPSearchDatabase Name=WSS_Search_SHAREPOINT Parent=SPDatabaseServiceInstance]: 00:00:06.
    [SPManager] [INFO] [8/10/2011 10:24:30 AM]: Resetting the status of PersistedUpgradableObject: SPSearchDatabase Name=WSS_Search_SHAREPOINT Parent=SPDatabaseServiceInstance to Online.
    [SPManager] [ERROR] [8/10/2011 10:24:30 AM]: ReflexiveUpgrade [SPSearchDatabase Name=WSS_Search_SHAREPOINT Parent=SPDatabaseServiceInstance] failed.
    [SPManager] [ERROR] [8/10/2011 10:24:30 AM]: An update conflict has occurred, and you must re-try this action. The object SPSearchServiceInstance Parent=SPServer Name=SHAREPOINT is being updated by DOMAIN\Administrator, in the OWSTIMER process, on machine SHAREPOINT.  View the tracing log for more information about the conflict.
    [SPManager] [ERROR] [8/10/2011 10:24:30 AM]:    at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPConfigurationDatabase.StoreObject(SPPersistedObject obj, Boolean storeClassIfNecessary, Boolean ensure)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPPersistedUpgradableObject.Upgrade(Boolean recursively)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.SPManager.ReflexiveUpgrade(Object o, Boolean bRecurse)
    [SPManager] [INFO] [8/10/2011 10:24:30 AM]: Resetting the status of PersistedUpgradableObject: SPServer Name=SHAREPOINT Parent=SPFarm Name=SharePoint_Config to Online.
    [SPManager] [ERROR] [8/10/2011 10:24:30 AM]: ReflexiveUpgrade [SPServer Name=SHAREPOINT Parent=SPFarm Name=SharePoint_Config] failed.
    [SPManager] [ERROR] [8/10/2011 10:24:30 AM]: An update conflict has occurred, and you must re-try this action. The object SPSearchServiceInstance Parent=SPServer Name=SHAREPOINT is being updated by DOMIAN\Administrator, in the OWSTIMER process, on machine SHAREPOINT.  View the tracing log for more information about the conflict.
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPPersistedUpgradableObject.Upgrade(Boolean recursively)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.SPManager.ReflexiveUpgrade(Object o, Boolean bRecurse)
    [SPManager] [INFO] [8/10/2011 10:24:30 AM]: Resetting the status of PersistedUpgradableObject: SPFarm Name=SharePoint_Config to Online.
    [SPManager] [INFO] [8/10/2011 10:24:31 AM]: Inplace Upgrade session finishes. root object = SPFarm Name=SharePoint_Config, recursive = True. 3 errors and 0 warnings encountered.
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 12:00 PM

Answers

• Thanks everyone,

I solved the problem, but I don't know the exact order of the actions I took

1. I cleared the cache folder. set the ini value to 1

2. I purged the SSPs

after that the psconfig command was successful, as well as the config wizard

• Marked as answer by Emir Liu Friday, August 19, 2011 2:24 AM
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 8:56 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I have observed such issues while upgrading sharepoint versions.

We managed it by stopping timer service after setting it manually and then running this wizard again.

You can also try the same.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 1:02 PM
  • Hi,

This can happen due to DST issue.

Change the time zone on issue server to the right time zone and re run the psconfig command , it showuld work :)

Regards,

Raj

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 2:21 PM
  • STOP the search Service and then proceed with the command. Looks like the search databases are not getting updated.
    ~jon
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 10:37 PM
  • Thanks everyone,

I solved the problem, but I don't know the exact order of the actions I took

1. I cleared the cache folder. set the ini value to 1

2. I purged the SSPs

after that the psconfig command was successful, as well as the config wizard

• Marked as answer by Emir Liu Friday, August 19, 2011 2:24 AM
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 8:56 AM