none
Project online is so slow, we received complaint everyday! RRS feed

• Question

• Everyday I received complaints from users either end users or schedulers that project online is slow and so does the PWA.  It takes a long time for it to load.  When we installed this, a 3rd party helps us set everything up.  I checked with SharePoint admin for service health and there are no advisories, according to them.

I notice that no resource can access PWA when a large project being published.  Basically the website becomes unresponsive.  What could be the problem?  I check the project plans and discover some resource name contain () parenthesis, some resource name does not even in the AD group but scheduler made up as a place holder before they receive a final resource name.  Not sure if this contributes to a website being slow. 

What must we do to not have this issue? this becomes a bottleneck as it affects our productivity badly.  We didn't have these issues when we were on prem.

NLuu

Tuesday, July 31, 2018 2:37 PM

All replies

• Hi, 

Is this ALL projects or just a subset. Are your projects particularly large or have multiple task and assignment level ECFS with calculations?

What about if you just publish a 50 line project, and then a 50 line project with single assignments for each line?

Ultimately you need to narrow this down so that when you called MS support they can try and resolve your problem.

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | downloads | P2O

Wednesday, August 1, 2018 6:29 AM
  • Hi, thx for your response.  We have a few that have approx. 8,000 tasks. I noticed that when schedulers published these 3 projects, it holds other from 1) unable to access "my tasks" on PWA (other users).  2) Schedulers can't access project pro.

We have tested with small project and it went through fine.  But it happens on and off and the slowness is obvious. Today everything seems to be fine but still not fast enough.  I checked in the Q today and 2 of the suspected projects went through successfully without any other users complaint.

I was just wondering how other users out there experience project online.  Does anyone experience.

1) Slowness when accessing PWA (comparing bet online and prem).

2) Can't access project pro on and off (we haven't never had any complaint of this when we were on prem)

Thx.

NLuu

Wednesday, August 1, 2018 9:09 PM
  • Hello,

A few years back we had the same issue with one of our customers - when they published very large project schedules, this impacted users accessing PWA. This was quickly resolved by Microsoft though but maybe there is some regression on a later change or this might have been a temporary service issue. I would open a support ticket on the O365 tenant so that Microsoft support can review the logs when this is happening. Capture all the details - time / date, pages, projects etc. then open the support ticket.

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS | MVP | Downloads

Friday, August 3, 2018 7:28 AM
  • I thought I wanted to close what I opened here.  It turns out that it was slow during the publish of a very large project (> 3000 tasks).  The goal is to reduce the publish time by deactivate Reporting to NEVER. This can be altered under Enterprise Data --> Reporting. Since my team doesn't use this so I set it to NEVER instead of daily/weekly/monthly.

Eversince this set to NEVER, the publish time improved tremendously and users have less problem accessing my task and we receive less complaint on page load too slow (because it waited for publishing to complete).

Case closed. 

Thursday, October 4, 2018 5:23 PM
  • Hi Paul, I reread your response regarding a few year ago your client has the same issue.  May I know if that is on prem and not online environment.

Thanks,

Nitaya

Monday, October 8, 2018 6:24 PM
  • Hello,

They were Project Online.

Paul

Monday, October 8, 2018 6:26 PM
  • Paul, do you mind me asking how many projects you have and what are the tasks number (max) size you are managing?  To dates we have < 100 project, task ranging from 300 to 8,000 tasks (6 of them are huge). MS has helped but they also suggested us to manage files that are big around peak time.  We can't even turn on auto publish because if we do so, other scehduler can't access project online.  Auto Publish off and scheduler publish 3 times a day manually. 

How does anyone manage theirs?  thought?

NLuu

Monday, October 15, 2018 3:39 PM
  • Hello,

So if just one of these large projects are published manually, other users can't access Project Online at all?

Paul

Monday, October 15, 2018 5:29 PM
  • Yes, during the publish times, no one can access the project pro.  So what MS support wanted me to do was the followings:

1) Tell me to set reporting feature to NEVER or longer than weekly.  I set to NEVER since we don't use that feature. The publish time improve from 20 minutes+ to 5 minutes

2) MS support fixed something at their end to speed the publish time, now our publish goes from 5 minute to 2-3 minutes for project bigger than 3000 tasks.

In conclusion, our scheduler will not be able to get in the project only 2-3 minutes during the publish.  We are OK with this solution for now (better than 20+minutes).

Cheers,

Nitaya

Tuesday, October 30, 2018 6:18 PM