Packages with Ttansform or other commandlines RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi forum.

I would really appreciate some bulletproof methods to solve the following two problems in SCE software deployment.

1. What is the correct way to install an MSI with a transform ( Or MSP ) ? I have tried the obvious, creating a package that launch the MSI, and add TRANSFORMS="blabla.mst" as an argument, with no luck ?

2. What is the correct way to launch regsvr32 , a VBScript or something like that ? I tried creating a package that contains a copy a cmd.exe , and run that with "/C REGEDIT /s blabla.reg" as an argument. I have seen this proposed somewhere, but I can´t really make it work ?? The logfiles on the the client indicates that only the cmd.exe is intereted, not the arguments.

I know deploying any software that is not a legacy EXE setup or MSI is not supported natively by SCE, transforms are so very Microsoft, and you should be able to use them ? Even when deploying MSI through group policy, you can do that out-of-the-box. Why not in SCE ? Are the only solution to run anything like that with custumized wrappers in EXE-format ? Just the opposite as deploying legacy-setups throgh GPO, where its a hell to create MSI-packages that wraps the EXE :-)

Any advice, or opinions are very welcome ..

/Jens

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 3:42 PM

Answers

• Hi Jens,

SCE doesn’t support to deploy .msp file by default. However, the following thread may help you find a possible workaround.

Applying updates with .msp extension
    http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2336228&SiteID=17

Just for your reference, the article below may be helpful.

How To Patch a Software Installation Stored on a Network Server That Is Deployed Using Microsoft Software Installer
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;226936

Besides, there's another workaround to run the MSI with a batch file.

1.Create a new folder.

2. Copy the  MSI installation files to the new folder which is created in the previous step.

3. Copy the cmd.exe and msiexec.exe to the folder as well. By default, this file is under %systemroot%\system32.

4. In the folder, create a bat file, for example, new.bat. Then edit it to ensure it contains the following commands:

msiexec /i <msi file name> /qn SERIALNUMBER=02003-0132154

5. In the SCE console, navigate to the SOFTWARE pane.

6. Select “New software package”, browse to the new folder and select the CMD.exe

7. Select the check box of “Include all files and sub-folder in this location”.

8. In the installation parameter, input “/c  new.bat”.

Note: I used new.bat in this example. Please adjust the bat file name accordingly.

9. Click Create and deploy this package to the client computers.

Hope it helps.

Sincerely,

Yog Li

Microsoft Online Community Support

Thursday, February 21, 2008 10:02 AM

All replies

• Hi Jens,

SCE doesn’t support to deploy .msp file by default. However, the following thread may help you find a possible workaround.

Applying updates with .msp extension
    http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2336228&SiteID=17

Just for your reference, the article below may be helpful.

How To Patch a Software Installation Stored on a Network Server That Is Deployed Using Microsoft Software Installer
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;226936

Besides, there's another workaround to run the MSI with a batch file.

1.Create a new folder.

2. Copy the  MSI installation files to the new folder which is created in the previous step.

3. Copy the cmd.exe and msiexec.exe to the folder as well. By default, this file is under %systemroot%\system32.

4. In the folder, create a bat file, for example, new.bat. Then edit it to ensure it contains the following commands:

msiexec /i <msi file name> /qn SERIALNUMBER=02003-0132154

5. In the SCE console, navigate to the SOFTWARE pane.

6. Select “New software package”, browse to the new folder and select the CMD.exe

7. Select the check box of “Include all files and sub-folder in this location”.

8. In the installation parameter, input “/c  new.bat”.

Note: I used new.bat in this example. Please adjust the bat file name accordingly.

9. Click Create and deploy this package to the client computers.

Hope it helps.

Sincerely,

Yog Li

Microsoft Online Community Support

Thursday, February 21, 2008 10:02 AM
  • That is really cool, thanks Li :-)

After posting this mail, I figured out that using transforms are pretty simple. I just pointed to the MSI as setup-program, and TRANSFORMS="kjkj.mst" as property. It was a little unclear to me, if a "Space" was needed in front of the property, or if msiexec /i frfrjk.msi was needed in the commandline. but the most simple solution was the correct.

I have tried the trick with cmd.exe , but my logfiles showed that the final commandline was only CMD.exe, the arguments was not parsed ? When you use "/c new.bat" are the quotes needed , or is it just to improve readabillity ?

and you are right about an administrative install could be used as alternative to MSP-files, but I do think its a nice feature to install 1 megabyte, instead of reinstalling 900 mb :-)

thanks for your advice so far... Jens

Friday, February 22, 2008 8:14 AM