none
DPM insists on backing up some databases RRS feed

• Question

• I have DPM 2010 backing up a remote Win2k3R2 64 bit (untrusted) SQL 2005 server.

This server has a few databases that are purely test, dumping ground databases and are not required to be backed up, in fact across the WAN it's preferable not to backup 20GB+ of a database.

The issue I have is if I modify the protection group and remove the database from the protection group it gets placed as an inactive protection (all good). 

It will sometimes recreate the backup that night and place it back as active, other times it will remain there until I delete the inactive protection.

However, once I delete the inactive protection, at the next full express backup window it performs a backup of that database over the WAN, again making it active.

Any ideas why it keeps re-adding the database into the protection group, it's currently consuming a lot of disk on my DPM server and is also hammers the WAN (or if throttled prevents backup of the required databases in backup windows).

Thanks

Mark

Monday, January 10, 2011 11:18 PM

Answers

• Hi Mark,

Are you sure that you are not backing up at the instance level? When you backup at the instance level DPM automatically backs ups all databases on that SQL instance. This may be why those databases keep getting added back in.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 4:54 AM

All replies