none
Protect multi-server Sharepoint farm with redundancy? RRS feed

• Question

• I can't seem to find a clear answer to this in any online documentation so here's the scenario. We have a medium size SP 2010 farm we want to protect with DPM 2010 (2 WFE, 1 APP). When I go to configure the protection group it only allows me select the "SharePoint Farm" datasource from one server. Fine, I get that, however the other servers in the farm don't appear in the protection group or as selection to recover to. I have installed the agent on all servers.

My goal is to have redundancy on the backups, meaning being able to backup from all servers in case one goes down. My other goal is to be able to recover (items, subwebs) to just one specific server in the farm to mitigate performance impact during a recovery.

How are you all doing this?  

Thursday, February 24, 2011 2:49 PM

Answers

• DPM uses the Front End web server for aiding discoverability of the backend databases where the sharepoint content is stored. it uses the SharePoint VSS writer for the purpose. It doesn't backup anything from the front end server as such.

In case one of the front end server goes down, you can switch protection to the other front end. This link http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb809017.aspx should be able to help you perform the switch. It is a DPM 2007 link, but pretty much applies to DPM 2010 as well.

Thanks

Deepan

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Tuesday, March 1, 2011 2:16 PM