none
Update Resource Pool RRS feed

• Question

• If I want to add more resources to Resource pool, Can I create a new file with the same file name and replace the old Resource pool? Will Project file that link to Resource pool be updated when I open a Project file?
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 12:50 AM

Answers

• Hi,

In the context of a recent forum discussion I tested Sharer takes precedence and it doesn't work as expected. I strongly recommend pool takes precedence, then at least you know what it does. Change calendars in the pool directly and once a sharer is open together with the pool teh resources will inherit the calendar.

Greetings,

Thursday, December 22, 2011 9:10 PM

All replies

• Mimi,

Why not add the resources to the existing pool?

Resource pools are linked structures and linked structures in Project are more prone to corruption. You can probably replace the existing pool file with a new one with the same name, basically equivalent to using Save As. However, anytime you mess with the link structure you increase the chances of corruption.

Hope this helps.

John

Thursday, December 22, 2011 2:11 AM
  • I can add new resource to a pool file but what option do I choose (pop up that has 3 options when I open a pool file) to update new resource information to other sharer files? From my past experience when I used this method, my pool file was crashed or sometimes pool/sharer files wasn't updated. If I replace the old file with a new file, will it be safer?

Thursday, December 22, 2011 3:04 AM
  • Hi,

Replacing a pool seems a guarantee for crashing. When adding resources to the pool I never experienced problems. By the way you could just as well add these resoruces to a sharer file - the first time sharer and pool are opened together the pool "inherits" these new resources. But don't cut/paste resources in the pool, that may have been your problem.

Greetings,

Thursday, December 22, 2011 10:57 AM
  • How's about if I want to add vacation for resources? Do I select Sharer takes precedence, then add vacation, save/close, then go back to a file and change it back to pool takes precedence?
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 7:33 PM
  • Hi,

In the context of a recent forum discussion I tested Sharer takes precedence and it doesn't work as expected. I strongly recommend pool takes precedence, then at least you know what it does. Change calendars in the pool directly and once a sharer is open together with the pool teh resources will inherit the calendar.

Greetings,

Thursday, December 22, 2011 9:10 PM