Task sequence initializes, but the installer it calls does not start unless i hit Ctrl+Alt+Del or click on the mouse a couple of times RRS feed

• Question

• hi.. i made another post as my previous one was not answered correctly (partly because i did not ask the right question)..

here is the ts.xml in full: http://bpaste.net/show/TxnD2tJB10lZCAp1ZjLw/

this is the relevant part (i think)

<step type="SMS_TaskSequence_RunCommandLineAction" name="Lenovo ThinInstaller" description="" disable="false" continueOnError="false" startIn="%DeployRoot%\ThinInstaller" successCodeList="0 3010" runIn="WinPEandFullOS">
          <defaultVarList>
            <variable name="PackageID" property="PackageID"></variable>
            <variable name="RunAsUser" property="RunAsUser">false</variable>
            <variable name="SMSTSRunCommandLineUserName" property="SMSTSRunCommandLineUserName"></variable>
            <variable name="SMSTSRunCommandLineUserPassword" property="SMSTSRunCommandLineUserPassword"></variable>
            <variable name="LoadProfile" property="LoadProfile">false</variable>
          </defaultVarList>
          <action>%DeployRoot%\ThinInstaller\Thininstaller.exe /CM -search A -action INSTALL -includerebootpackages 1,3,4 -showprogress -noreboot -log "%Windir%\Temp\DeploymentLogs\ThinInstallResults.log"</action>
          <condition>
            <operator type="and">
              <expression type="SMS_TaskSequence_VariableConditionExpression">
                <variable name="Variable">Make</variable>
                <variable name="Operator">equals</variable>
                <variable name="Value">Lenovo</variable>
              </expression>
            </operator>
          </condition>
        </step>

running this command on a deployed PC works fine via batch file, command window, or simply double clicking the exe (although it does not do a lot of the automated stuff, but it still runs). on MDT however, the task sequence just stalls.. the progress bar does not move, and the application never starts to run unless i hit Ctrl+Alt+Del or move the mouse clicking randomly on the screen..

Please help.. how do i debug something like this?

Thanks,

Luis B.

Thursday, April 10, 2014 6:49 PM

Answers

• The SCCM Stand Alone Task Sequencer tries to suppress UI on the programs it calls directly, this is by design. So the fact that you are getting weird UI behavior is not surprising.

As a work around, try adding a cmd.exe window around the command:

cmd.exe /c %DeployRoot%\ThinInstaller\Thininstaller.exe /CM -search A -action INSTALL -includerebootpackages 1,3,4 -showprogress -noreboot -log "%Windir%\Temp\DeploymentLogs\ThinInstallResults.log"

-k

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 7:34 AM